Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Music Formats Alter the Original...

Old No7

OK, so the images are not about music -- but I still like the tale they tell! 😉

Old No7

Music Format 01.jpg

Music Format 02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

IDK about the cover version. There are covers by knowns and unknowns. There have been covers by knowns which are their own special thing. Then there have been covers by knowns which make you cringe. These days people make a big deal about covers made by unknowns. It is like everyone unknown doing a cover is an undiscovered equal.

9 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

There have been covers by knowns which are their own special thing

Too rare in my opinion. I get bored with the "waiflike girl whisper-singing with an acoustic guitar playing cowboy chords" covers. That doesn't compare to Hendrix's Watchtower, or Cocker's Friends, or Aretha's Respect (etc. etc.)

Cheers, Mike

Just viewing that made me feel like the "cover version." I started out as a kid with a craptastic cassette recorder I applied to saving TV themes, using its onboard "mic." My first "turntable" was a Magnavox Buttscraper with a mini-railroad spike for a needle. You could watch the vinyl curl up as things played.

Aside from blatant bad recordings or sub-sub-standard gear proper, I remain tickled by the ongoing progress over time. Opinions fall to the wayside a bit when contrasted with my old 45 of "Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron." It sounded like Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" with a drum beat under it. It was so scratched and walked on, it was damned near white. As a result, I have a sort of warped appreciation for anything that doesn't sound like hail on a tin roof. 🥰         

• Haha 2

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

What about Waltzing Matilda? The earliest cover tune I can think of off-hand. 

We used to sing that in 3rd grade, we were all happy to bellow along. 

Somehow, I remembered it differently. 

An Australian hobo gets caught stealing a sheep and the Popo gonna hang him by the neck until dead so he commits suicide by jumping into the bend in the river and drowning. Then his ghost haunts the place. 

A few years back I learned it, 3/4 time - start slow and speed up gradually through the 3 verses and modulate up a whole step twice, from C to D to E. 

The "cover version" face above just looks like regular people sitting at the bar wondering WTF to me. 😇

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

4 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

I think you have to look at the period. Akin to dinosaurs becoming petroleum, Rock is made up of blues artists and Dylan covers. 🙂

Do you know, I think I might prefer Tom Waits covers and Tony Joe White covers to Dylan?

Cheers, Mike.