Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elton John : NewCastle 2023 - Complete Concert - Gear Spotting

AnthonyM

Hello Everyone,

I thought you might enjoy this. It has a lot of close up's of Elton John and the Auxiliary Keyboard Player.  The sound is great! He's using a Kuezwel  K2600, Motif XF6 and a couple of other boards. it looks like it was filmed from the first few rows.

Enjoy!

Anthony

• Like 2

Interesting to note that Kim Bullard, pictured here, who one assumes could have any keyboard he wishes for a tour of this magnitude, chooses to use a Kurzweil keyboard introduced in 1999.

Here's the details...actually 2 Kurz's...

https://www.musicradar.com/news/rig-tour-qanda-elton-john-keyboard-player-kim-bullard

• Like 1
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, AnthonyM said:

Hello Everyone,

I thought you might enjoy this. It has a lot of close up's of Elton John and the Auxiliary Keyboard Player.  The sound is great! He's using a Kuezwel  K2600, Motif XF6 and a couple of other boards. it looks like it was filmed from the first few rows.

Enjoy!

Anthony

Didn’t tape over any of the keyboard manufacturer names!  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

I believe the Kurz is because Guy Babylon used them. Kim stepped into the gig when Guy passed away suddenly mid-tour, and there wasn’t the luxury of time for Kim to build an entirely new rig from scratch so he just used Guy’s boards & programming.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Wish the sound was better having seats up front is nice to see the band with, but not good for sound.  That close the flying FOH speaker over head is blowing the sound back over the head of those up front.   So PA companies put a few front fill monitor up to feed sound to the front, but not as good as the overhead speakers.  Also the subwoofers are usually in front of the stage on the floor so seats up front get a lot of bass blasted at them.    Being up front great to see, but being back further is better for sound quality. 

35 minutes ago, David R said:

I believe the Kurz is because Guy Babylon used them. Kim stepped into the gig when Guy passed away suddenly mid-tour, and there wasn’t the luxury of time for Kim to build an entirely new rig from scratch so he just used Guy’s boards & programming.

It has been 14 years since he passed away.  The linked article describes multiple rigs so they are prepared for anything anywhere including impromptu performances. If that gear works why replace it?

Who owns all of those rigs when they have duplicates and smaller versions ready to set up in advance at the next venue? If that were Guy's personal gear would they have rented it for the remainder of that tour then purchased it from Guy's family/estate? Or does a big act like Elton John pay for the tour gear? I know the various backing band members of Pink Floyd and Roger Waters have had their own keyboards.

On 3/4/2023 at 4:11 PM, o0Ampy0o said:

It has been 14 years since he passed away. 

See, it's not large-scale events that make me feel the passage of time, it's little stuff like this that reminds me I'm getting older.

Thanks for the share (especially that MusicRadar article). I find those "all the parts the guitars, drums, and piano aren't already covering" keyboard gigs to be fascinating, since they're so different than anything I've ever done. Even when I've been a "second keyboard player" that's mean't I'm doing organ and clav while someone else does piano, that sort of thing -- not strings and horns and harmonica and whatever sound is missing from that one track they did in 1976. The breadth of sonic territory that has to be covered by the keyboard in Elton's band, same with another huge legacy artist like Dave Rosenthal with Billy Joel or Wix Wickens with Paul McCartney, is just massive. And it's wild to me to see the kind of setups these players wind up with in a touring organization where money is basically no object. They don't have to quibble over a few hundred bucks for a piece of rack gear -- they just get what sounds the best and works the best. And then buy six of them for good measure.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

On 3/4/2023 at 1:25 PM, zxcvbnm098 said:

Interesting to note that Kim Bullard, pictured here, who one assumes could have any keyboard he wishes for a tour of this magnitude, chooses to use a Kurzweil keyboard introduced in 1999.

Here's the details...actually 2 Kurz's...

https://www.musicradar.com/news/rig-tour-qanda-elton-john-keyboard-player-kim-bullard

Can somebody explain what he meant by this:

"Also, note to future touring keyboardists, be sure to have tones programmed in on each keyboard that are set at -0-. This way the FOH guy can set levels without having to do sound checks."