Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Want to win the DAW market (or at least increase profits)? Make updates painless.

Hey all,

I'll preface this post by saying that my method for a DAW software update may differ from others. I only drop DAW software on a clean Windows install. My DAW experience started in 1999 when systems and software were quite fragile, and out of that experience I always did clean, fresh installs. It's entirely possible that the modern update/upgrade process is better than I think it is.

But given my method, there are times I want to upgrade from one version to another, but I don't want to lose the time it takes to make the change. I don't want to worry about losing all of my favorites in the Cubase Media Bay, redoing all of my plugin installs, nor am I thrilled about redoing all of the customizations in the DAW itself (keyboard shortcuts, preferences, etc).

If a DAW provider wants at least one more user to routinely upgrade versions (i.e. me), make the update process bulletproof. Try as closely as you can to mimic what Apple does with new iPhones and iPads.

If you've bought a new iPad or iPhone in recent years, the process is as smooth as a Swiss watch. You take a picture of the old device (which is showing a QR-like code or noise pattern on the screen), and pretty much all of your content and customizations come along for the ride. Depending on your content level it might take a couple of days to fully arrive from the Cloud, but human intervention is almost non-existent.

Finances aren't my constraint, time is. I'm running Cubase 6.5 (installed in 2012) because I hate the process of upgrading so much. I've bought a license for 10.5 (and I might as well bump it to v12 now), but I hate, hate, hate the lost time to rebuild my software rig.

Comments/experiences from other users who might install updates over existing software are welcome.

Todd

• Like 1

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

20 hours ago, Sundown said:

If a DAW provider wants at least one more user to routinely upgrade versions (i.e. me), make the update process bulletproof. Try as closely as you can to mimic what Apple does with new iPhones and iPads.

To me, the genius part of iPhone updates is that after the update, you can keep using it more or less like you did before. Dig down a layer, and you find the new features.

I noticed that Studio One did the same kind of thing, and I asked the developers about it. They said it was a conscious decision. The downside is people think "oh, there's nothing new" because it seems familiar after they open the new version.

Overall, updates are pretty painless these days. The main thing I need to be concerned about is whether something like preferences get overwritten on an install. These days, most programs are good about it. The main solution seems to be to have two paths, one for factory definitions and customizations, and the other for user. The install leaves the user one alone, and updates the factory one. 

My recent updates have been pretty painless. Not sure on Windows, Mac user here. 

I would update from 2012 in any case, pain or not. 

Digital is digital until it isn't. In general, all DAWS will have superior D2A and A2D conversion written in. Are you running 64 bit or 32?

13 years is a century in terms of development of digital. 

And, how do you know this is going to be so painful unless you try it? If financial resources are not the issue, could you not a DAW on 2 drives every time you update and then test the update on one of them while leaving your main install alone? I think that might be sort of what Craig is saying above. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks for the insight guys. 

My hardware AD/DA is an RME Multiface II with an HDSP PCIe card. I’m running Win7 64bit with Cubase 6.5.

I plan to update to Win10 on an SSD on this machine (and jump to Cubase 12 / Wavelab 11). 

Todd

Sundown

24 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Thanks for the insight guys. 

My hardware AD/DA is an RME Multiface II with an HDSP PCIe card. I’m running Win7 64bit with Cubase 6.5.

I plan to update to Win10 on an SSD on this machine (and jump to Cubase 12 / Wavelab 11). 

Todd

Sounds like you're headed in a good direction. Please come back and let us know if you are hearing any difference in sound quality. 

They updated the audio engine in my DAW (Waveform) a couple of versions ago. Things just sounded more "real" after that. I don't have the equipment to do real world analysis but I'm pleased with the improvements. 

Plugins have become amazing as well. One I would recommend demoing is Eventide Split EQ, this allows you to plot EQ and Volume curves separately on Transients and Tones and then seamlessly re-join them. Can work wonders on all sorts of things for different reasons. Your vocals, snare and kick (electronic or recorded from analog instruments) will be easy to adjust to fit the mix. There are other Transient/Tone splitters but this is the one that I use and can recommend. Others may well be equal or better. It's a new world!!!

Hi KP,

I did a bit of surfing and I was surprised to see that my audio interface isn’t made anymore. RME has moved onto other products, mostly in the USB/FireWire arena. They are also big on the MADI protocol and separate converters.

I don’t think my hardware AD/DA is a weak link in my chain, but if I were looking for a replacement I would probably choose an Apollo Twin-X. I never record more than one part at a time and I can handle output routing with my patchbay.

But again, of all the things I need to improve in my studio, I think the hardware AD/DA is lower on the list. A new PC and new NFMs come first.

Todd

Sundown

11 hours ago, Anderton said:

To me, the genius part of iPhone updates is that after the update, you can keep using it more or less like you did before. Dig down a layer, and you find the new features.

... or you find that a useful capability has been removed, and there's no way to roll back. <grrrrr>

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

7 hours ago, Sundown said:

Hi KP,

I did a bit of surfing and I was surprised to see that my audio interface isn’t made anymore. RME has moved onto other products, mostly in the USB/FireWire arena. They are also big on the MADI protocol and separate converters.

I don’t think my hardware AD/DA is a weak link in my chain, but if I were looking for a replacement I would probably choose an Apollo Twin-X. I never record more than one part at a time and I can handle output routing with my patchbay.

But again, of all the things I need to improve in my studio, I think the hardware AD/DA is lower on the list. A new PC and new NFMs come first.

Todd

I usually only record 1 or 2 tracks at a time and I've found the SSL 2+ to be a great sounding, affordable option. If you only need one headphone output the SSL 2 would do the trick. They make very good sounding mic preamps and headphone amps. I love that each channel has it's own 48v, Line and Guitar switch. 

Yes, a fast computer will make work easier and quicker. If you don't truly need a laptop, save the money and get a desktop computer. I've got a Dell 25" and LG 28" viewing monitors, found them both at Goodwill for around $30 each. They are not in perfect condition but they work great and are absolutely fine for DAW work. It's nice to have a good sized screen. 

NFMs can make a HUGE difference, no argument there. Speakers and microphones are essentials that define your sound. 

5 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

I usually only record 1 or 2 tracks at a time and I've found the SSL 2+ to be a great sounding, affordable option. If you only need one headphone output the SSL 2 would do the trick. They make very good sounding mic preamps and headphone amps. I love that each channel has it's own 48v, Line and Guitar switch. 

Boy, I just took a loot at that and I'm amazed at the MSRP. Without checking, I would have thought anything with the SSL brand name would be $1-2K. Those SSL 2/2+ units are quite affordable.

Todd

Sundown

13 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Boy, I just took a loot at that and I'm amazed at the MSRP. Without checking, I would have thought anything with the SSL brand name would be $1-2K. Those SSL 2/2+ units are quite affordable.

Todd

I have one and it's fantastic. I sold my Steinberg unit, which was pretty darn good but the SSL ate it's lunch. And I will be selling my Presonus Quantum TB simply because I thought having 8 channels meant I could set up channels for specific purposes and make live simpler. It works if you ignore the cord clutter and gear you need to make it happen. If I was recording live bands I'd probably want 16 tracks but I don't do that and I don't want to do that. 

6 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

I have one and it's fantastic. I sold my Steinberg unit, which was pretty darn good but the SSL ate it's lunch. And I will be selling my Presonus Quantum TB simply because I thought having 8 channels meant I could set up channels for specific purposes and make live simpler. It works if you ignore the cord clutter and gear you need to make it happen. If I was recording live bands I'd probably want 16 tracks but I don't do that and I don't want to do that. 

Yeah, in reality I need 2 ins and 2 outs. My patchbay takes care of the rest. If one of those inputs is Hi-Z, all the better. My current Multiface II is actually overkill (8-in/8-out) for the way I work. I'm never going to record a drum kit and a good patch bay let's you route anything anywhere.

Todd

Sundown

1 minute ago, Sundown said:

Yeah, in reality I need 2 ins and 2 outs. My patchbay takes care of the rest. If one of those inputs is Hi-Z, all the better. My current Multiface II is actually overkill (8-in/8-out) for the way I work. I'm never going to record a drum kit and a good patch bay let's you route anything anywhere.

Todd

SSL 2 and 2+ both have 2 inputs/outputs. The 2+ has a second headphone output that can also be dedicated to a hi-fi system. 

There are 2 1/4" output jacks AND 2 RCA ins and outs on the 2+.

I've been eyeing the SSL 12 because it has 4 inputs and sometimes I might use that but I've done well with just 2 for quite a while now.