Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting my connections right

jmemcse517

I have a Korg Kross 2, a Mackie Mix12 FX mixer, a clone Gopro camera, A Presonus Audiobox USB96 interface, and Presonus Studio One Artist. I also have a pair of pole mounted 8"/tweeter speakers and headphones, and a Shure Beta 58a. I have a goal of making a minute long promotional video of my Christmas solo act.

I have everything connected and working. I'm not sure if everything is connected optimally though.

I think my biggest question is - can I connect the camera mic input to the Tape out RCA jacks on the mixer? I have all the cabling and adapters to make it work. I don't know how to check my line level is ok - haven't got a clue except connect it and test record with the Tape send from my mixer.

So, I have the keyboards and mic input to the mixer. The L/R Main out from the mixer into the L/R input of the Audiobox. The Audiobox L/R outs go to my pole speakers. I'm able to record tracks in Studio One. I want to wire in the camera as soon as Amazon delivers an 1/8 stereo extension cable  today.

Should I proceed with that wiring, or should I just run out the mixer straight into the camera? Then download the recorded video into my computer for editing? I'd rather have everything wired for anything I might do and not have to be swappin jacks depending on if I'm using the camera or not. Hope that makes sense.

Here is recording through the mixer to the interface to Studio One. I think the audio quality is ok. 

Please advise me on connecting this all together, and thanks in advance - Jim

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about connecting the mixer to the camera.  Presumably that could work.

What I have done with our band and demos is to record video (we hired a guy who did a great job, lots of moving shots) and we recorded separate tracks of audio from the mixing board.  We used a gig where all the drums were miked up.   In your case, if you are a solo act this might not be as big a deal, if you are happy with the mix from the gig.  With five members and multiple drums, I really wanted the raw individual tracks.

Once I had the tracks, I mixed them properly and created a two track mix.  Then I re-combined this using video software, which which I am far from adept at using :)   I used iMovie on the mac, and the problem is that it doesn't give very fine control about nudging audio to get it synced with the video...so I had to add a very small amount of blank space to the beginning of the mixed audio to make it line up.  Worked like a charm in the end.

Long story short, if you can record good audio (whether mixed or separate tracks), you have options to combine it later with the video.   Then again if it sounds good and you can do it right at the show, great.

I'm not sure how well your camera's mic input would handle a line output from the mixer. (Impedance, level and even plug-in power might have an impact).

I've seen Youtubers who record audio and video separately, and sync them up (with a brief sound from a clapperboard/handclap/whatever) in a video editor. That might give you better results.

Cheers, Mike.