Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sonar 3 Tempo Change

It seems like I've done this before but I'm tired and can't think. Someone brought in 8 tracks of DA-88 to transfer into an existing project of MIDI and audio. Audio transferred just fine. I can drag all the new audio tracks over to the desired start time and all the audio plays in sync. But now, we (I) have a slight MIDI tempo problem. When I enter a new tempo all the timing between the audio tracks changes. Is there a way to change MIDI tempo without having to slide individual audio tracks after your done? God I hope I explained this okay, I feel drunk. Maybe I'll go get drunk after this.

TNX

GY

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by GY:

Someone brought in 8 tracks of DA-88 to transfer into an existing project of MIDI and audio. Audio transferred just fine. But now, we (I) have a slight MIDI tempo problem.When I enter a new tempo all the timing between the audio tracks changes.

When you transfered the DA-88 audio,did you slave Sonar's clock? If so,the only thing I can think of is if the original audio is not timed to a clock.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

All audio is fine, but I need to change the MIDI tempo. When I do that, all audio tracks lose their sync with each other. They all end up in different places. I guess each track could be drug back into sync, but getting them frame accurate takes a bunch of time.

GY

This is both an advantage and disadvantage with Sonar...AFAIK the audio is always "staked" to the same rhythmic locations. This is great when you have slices of rhythms that need to follow tempo, but not so great if you want to change tempo after the fact.

This is not something I need to do a lot so I don't have a ready solution. I do believe you can invoke pitch-stretching to correct the audio so it matches MIDI, although of course that affects the sound and I'm not sure that's what you want.

What I suggest is bouncing all the clips in a track into a single clip that starts at the beginning of the track. Then all your tracks will be referenced to the start time, and only the start time. At that point you can change the MIDI tempo without having the audio rearrange itself.

Craig and Alndlbot, as always I appreciate your replies.

You may have hit the nail. I believe I need to bounce to clips before attempting this. I know I've done this MIDI tempo change thing before. When you do a certain task only a couple of times a year you tend to forget the procedure. If I write these tricks down, I lose the paper.

TNX

GY

Something that MIGHT be worth a try is to drop a marker at the beginning of each clip before altering the MIDI tempo.

Now when you change tempo, if the markers move with the MIDI, you're in luck. Just set 'snap to marker' and the audio should be easy to drag to the correct spot...

(May very well NOT work, too...)

Bounce to clips didn't work either. Maybe before I just drug each audio track into sync. It is a drag wanting to change tempo after the fact you've also got audio recorded. Well I won't belabor it. If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free.

GY

Originally posted by Anderton:

When you bounced all the clips in a track into a SINGLE clip on a SINGLE track, did you "roll out" the beginning of the clip so it starts at time zero?

No. I think I understand what you mean. Like inserting silence on every audio track up to where it starts? I don't think I've ever done that before with Sonar. I'll go look while I await a reply.

I'm back...

I think what you mean is to rewind to 00:00:00 and record a measure or so of nothing on all audio tracks? (This is exactly why I use plenty of pre-roll). Then do the bounce to clips thing again on all tracks? I think that keeps them all in place?

GY

Originally posted by GY:

Originally posted by Anderton:

When you bounced all the clips in a track into a SINGLE clip on a SINGLE track, did you "roll out" the beginning of the clip so it starts at time zero?

No. I think I understand what you mean. Like inserting silence on every audio track up to where it starts? I don't think I've ever done that before with Sonar. I'll go look while I await a reply.

I'm back...

I think what you mean is to rewind to 00:00:00 and record a measure or so of nothing on all audio tracks? (This is exactly why I use plenty of pre-roll). Then do the bounce to clips thing again on all tracks? I think that keeps them all in place?

I think what Craig is talking about is moving the pointer to the left edge of the clip, then (when the right icon arrow thingy appears), click & drag all the way back to time 0:0:00 so the clip is 'filled in' with silence all the way back to the beginning.

Got It! Now I know what you mean by "roll out". I use that editing all the time. Never thought of doing it to insert silence. I'm book marking this for next time.

Thanks again to all three of you for your help.

GY

Archived