Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cleaning TFT/LCD screens

What do you use?

I have pets in the house so little bits of dust & dirt inevitably find their way on to my laptop's TFT screen. I've been using "Storex" alcohol free cleaning tissues that I got from Curry's, which is like Best Buy or Circuit City. They seem to work OK, but not immediately. They promise streak free cleaning and rapid self drying - not true. The streaks eventually disappear but only after you've worried for a while.

Any decent alternatives or are these things OK?

John Scotsman

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always use isopropyl alcohol on a cotton rag (a torn up t-shirt works great). It evaporates completely. Don't over-saturate the rag, a tablespoon should do. Don't use solvents as this can permanently damage the coating on the screen.

I'm an IT manager and maintain 50-60 some odd thinkpads for my company. Anyone who uses windex or 409 to clean their LCD screens gets a royal chewing out and has to live with a f**ked up screen until their gear is replaced.

No signature required.

My ophthalmologist gave me some eyeglass cleaner for plastic or glass lenses. It comes in a small 6 oz spray bottle. It contains no alchohol or ammonia. It's not just water. The only mfg name on it is Creative Classics in Fort Worth, Texas. I've got Sony cameras and a couple of notebooks with the TFT screens and this is the best stuff I've found. Gets it clean, won't scratch.

GY

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

Jon, do you dilute the isopropyl alcohol with water first?

I buy isopropyl rubbing alcohol(70%) from the pharmacy or grocery store and do not dilute it.

I personally have a TP A21 that's 3 years old and a TP X31 that's almost a year old and I clean their screens every week with it and they look like new.

BTW, also use this for cleaning mice. Alcohol doesn't leave a residue ...

No signature required.

John, I use pure isopropyl alcohol - NOT rubbing alcohol, which has oils, water and other ingredients in it. Another thing I usually do is spray off the majority of the dust with some compressed air before wiping with the alcohol. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather get any large chunks that might scratch gently blown off first instead of risking scratches by wiping the screen. Probably overkill. :) Anyway, just go to the local drug store and ask them for the same isopropyl alcohol that diabetics use for needle sterilization. The same stuff works great for cleaning tape paths on analog tape decks.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

John, I use pure isopropyl alcohol - NOT rubbing alcohol, which has oils, water and other ingredients in it. Another thing I usually do is spray off the majority of the dust with some compressed air before wiping with the alcohol. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather get any large chunks that might scratch gently blown off first instead of risking scratches by wiping the screen. Probably overkill. :) Anyway, just go to the local drug store and ask them for the same isopropyl alcohol that diabetics use for needle sterilization. The same stuff works great for cleaning tape paths on analog tape decks.

good point to make sure only Alc & water are in the rubbing alcohol. Out here the rubbing alcohol is only alcohol and distilled water.
No signature required.

Archived