Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Process #3 Unleashing Creativity

#2 was regarding a song that is conceptually complete. Often I find myself creating something new and different. 

My "process" such as it is has fewer steps and no real imperatives except to allow things to happen. 

When I am in a creative mood I will often start with a way to keep time. Not a fan of metronomes so a drum clip or percussion clip is looped for a good long while, maybe 10-15 minutes sometimes. I want it to be longer than I will need. 

All of my percussion/drum plugins are set to lock to the tempo I set in the DAW, for most of them this is simply the default setting and nothing needs done. I'll poke around until I find something I like as a basis for tracking, let it play on repeat in the plugin and then adjust the tempo in my DAW until it feels right. Drop that clip into the DAW, loop it 32x (the maximum my DAW provides) and copy/paste that until it's long. That's it for beats, for now. 

After that, anything and everything goes. I might sing first if I have an idea, or lay down a chord progression or a lick or a bass line or a drone or or or... 

If nothing jells or comes of it, so what? At worst it was a good practice session.

There could be more ideas than one song needs, if so I might add tracks and cut and paste bits together that seem to be unified (or could be). That makes it much easier to focus on those ideas separately later. Don't worry about trying to accomplish anything, stop thinking and play from your heart and your soul.  

I've said this before - I've done over 20 remixes or productions on Metapop.com and I've found that to be very freeing since none of it was my work and ALL of it became my work. That has been an important way for me to build new skills and try ideas that may or may not be insane. It has improved my understanding of my tools and led me to try new tools and new techniques. I highly recommend it, there will be things to learn at any level. So far, I haven't won any of the prizes (all sorts of Native Instruments software and hardware and 1st prize is pretty generous). I do it less often than I used to but I still learn new things every time. If you are already on there or decide to join in, please friend me. Maybe some day we'll collaborate. https://metapop.com/opossum-apocalypse

Unleash your creativity!!!! Leap past your boundaries and let your spirits fly. 

Remember that we are creating tension and release. Tension may not always be pretty, go ugly early!!!🤩

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic