Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Broke out my Invisible Stand

7 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

if any of you hoarders care to part with one the many you own, let me know.

I have more than I need, but unless someone is local to the NY tri-state area, it's probably not worth the trouble and expense to ship these things... the cost of shipping really seems to have gone crazy in recent years. :-(

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Genuinely interested - having never laid eyes on one…

Could it hold a Fantom/Kronos 88 plus something else??

What's the weight limit on these things with a load of dynamic forces on them?
Looks like they're made from knitting needles.

I feel bad putting two keyboards with 2x M10ish bolts on a 2 tier X-stand when I have to!

20 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I have more than I need, but unless someone is local to the NY tri-state area, it's probably not worth the trouble and expense to ship these things... the cost of shipping really seems to have gone crazy in recent years. 😞

i'm nyc/NJ ;)

5 hours ago, Adam Burgess said:

Genuinely interested - having never laid eyes on one…

Could it hold a Fantom/Kronos 88 plus something else??

What's the weight limit on these things with a load of dynamic forces on them?
Looks like they're made from knitting needles.

I feel bad putting two keyboards with 2x M10ish bolts on a 2 tier X-stand when I have to!

Adam, these came out in the 80's and I don't think lasted much into the 90's...my recollection is that they were blowing them out around 1990 or so. Eric here is the resident expert on their history, so he might add more details to this.

The point being I don't recall seeing any specs on weight. Generally speaking keyboards were a lot heavier then, so I don't think you'll have trouble with a current weighted 88 board. They did make a version of the arms that were deeper/longer to accommodate larger keyboards, but in my experience most current keyboards will likely work with the stock arms. 

The stands are deceptively strong, but you don't see it until you have one in front of you. I was skeptical at first, but once I got one I understood how they worked and recognized why they are so stable and understood their popularity. You basically tighten a turnbuckle that pulls the two sides inward towards each other when setting up. That stabilizes the stand in a way that makes it such a favorite still. I was told by a dealer that carried them in the day they were invented by an architect, so I would assume that has something to do with construction and concept of it. 

At least for me, adding velcro is an essential step to the stability of using one, so if you get one keep that in mind. But they are really great, and worth the effort to find one...

• Like 1