Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Soaring Sound: Meet the Piano of the Future

drawback

From what I have observed with human nature in regard to new things, is that anything futuristic has a specific following, but rarely becomes the universal norm. It seems most people crave nostalgic comfort, and the way of the future will be transparently melded into high tech advancements making old style ways of doing things less problematic.

Interesting piano though, and would look good in a 1960's house of the future film :)   Just sayin'

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT,
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood and Fantasy Orchestra, Spitfire Albion and Symphony, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

The drone speakers are several jokes that write themselves. Even with a great sound, it still looks like a "Futurama" prop.

Someone in engineering added scotch to their coffee for too long. :guinness:  

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

10 minutes ago, DeltaJockey said:

nostalgic comfort

But was becomes "nostalgic comfort" is a moving target. Having spent a lot of my life around music education and young musician their idea of old tends to be twenty five years.   Now the one that tend to become the big players they tend to do their homework and study the elders of the music they want to play going back further in to the roots of the genre they love. 

So the goal markers for tradition and nostalgia keep moving and they always looking for new ways to make old new. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Docbop said:

But was becomes "nostalgic comfort" is a moving target.

True, but if this piano was truly innovative, it wouldn't have a traditional keybed? Maybe an Omose or similar perhaps? So there in itself is some nostalgia lasting well over a century and a half :)

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT,
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood and Fantasy Orchestra, Spitfire Albion and Symphony, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

It's cool-looking, and I like the 360-degree integrated speakers. It's also cool that you can broadcast to remote listeners' speakers in real time. Obviously the drone concept is a non-starter, but some less goofy adaptation of this still has some potential legs. 

It's just a fancy shell holding a DP, right? Which keybed is it using? I may have missed that. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Just now, JazzPiano88 said:

I don't like the urinal public restroom theme

So of the 3 pedals, is that the hot water on the left, and cold on the right? So that just leaves soap for the middle pedal :)

• Haha 2

Just now, DeltaJockey said:

So of the 3 pedals, is that the hot water on the left, and cold on the right? So that just leaves soap for the middle pedal :)

I assumed it was the plunger for the toilets behind the performer.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

oh!

Anyway, sorry I just couldn't resist! :)

For those who want nostalgia, don’t worry:

[quote]
Sounds from Roland’s 50 years of piano history—such as the EP-10, RD-1000, JD-800, V-Piano All Silver, and SuperNATURAL Piano—are all playable. 

[/quote]

Truly, a forward-thinking and innovative instrument of the future.

• Haha 1

Here's the other, previous thread on this instrument, for reference: https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/184395-roland-keys-w-drone-speakers-yup/.

I like the idea from the point of essentially having a moving surround sound system while playing, which could be really neat. But the drone motor noise is an issue lol.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

You guys need to be whacked with a stick, but I'm here too, so lemme have it. 😬:hitt:

Part of the joke for me is that having been saddled with some crap 'boards in my day, I'm half-giddy to hear an even halfway decent piano, in software or not. Y'wanna thrill my music gland? Never mind any piano below a Bosendorfer Imperial grand. Instead, show me your nice DP in the den, with two synths on top. Okay, four.

Sidebar brush with Greatness: I went to see DEVO in a small-ish club where the AC was out, so we were all being lightly broiled. At the break, Mark Mothersbaugh was still fiddling with his rig onstage, so I went up to one side and said "How's that Prophet-5 holding up in this damned heat?" He surprised me by saying "Well come on up, I'll show you!" I said "Thanks and watch me keep my hands off yer stuff." He laughed and said "I wish I heard THAT more often!" He was amused that I knew what an EML Poly-Box was. A fun moment of shared Synth Luv. DEVO played at a LBGTQ event hosted by John Waters and an interviewer said to Mark "You don't jump around like you used to." Mark replied "That's because we're OLD!" :cheers:

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx