Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Waldorf Quantum mk2 ...

Pricey, yes, but that's to be expected with such a well-muscled flagship. I'm always a bit puzzled at people who have 5 or 6 such instruments. ONE is easily a year's worth of self-discipline away from reasonable facility with the thing. I know I'm showing my age when I keep thinking of an instrument like this as being the center of your playing, like a piano or B-3. It doesn't feel quite right as either the top or the base choice in a stack. Its a synth player's synth. Its definitely overkill if you're just doing covers of "Dream Weaver."

Its interesting to see Waldorf upgrade it so well, several years after its first release. That makes sense at the price point, but not everyone massages the code enough to address real lacks after the fact. I'm sure a lot of its buyers are pleased tonight. I want to hear the poly AT used upfront. Could be scary.

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

So desirable as a synth.  So time consuming as a synth to explore, let alone try to master.  it's a lifetime deep.  I think there are very many preset for these now - thousands.  A film/media composers companion... So many sounds.  Dial one up, mod it a bit, lay down the track and move on.  Very, very useful if you get any speed with it.  But it does come down to the time.  I so wanted the original one.   But even having the $$, I never hit the buy button.  I already have deep synths that I'm not fully exploring.  The OB-6 gets the most use - it always sounds good, and it is super easy and direct to work with.  I do know my Bowen Solaris deeply and can very quickly edit even esoteric things.  But that was learned over multiple years.  Complex digital synths (really the only kind) are amazing, but they are a real learning curve as someone pointed out....

(but yeah, I want this...)

But also, I'm waiting on an Osmose... it is going to be a journey - probably the journey for this year...

Well, it looks great. Comparing with the Iridium Keyboard, 5 octaves, knobs nicely spaced, more ins and outs, more memory for samples, 8 analog filters - and the damn INTERNAL POWER SUPPLY.

The point is of course if those additions are worth 2000 euros...

About the filters, there's a video that compares the original Quantum with the Iridium module, focusing on the analog filters, and the difference is clearly audible. On the other hand, the analog filters add to the complexity of the circuits - and thinking about the Q, the version with analog filters had stability issues that were never completely resolved over the years. Um, that was a lame excuse. I would love to have analog filters on my Iridium... :blush:

The expanded sample memory is a great addition, and perhaps it will be available for the Iridium as well, as an upgrade. But even if it wouldn't, the Iridium has the capability to use SD or USB devices as direct memory for samples, without the need to load them into internal memory. I haven't tried it yet, but it's there.

The one thing I'm really curious about is whether the keybed has exactly the same feel as the Iridium or not. I guess so, but you never know... I would have liked a bit more resistance from the Iridium keyboard, and if by chance they improved the action, it would make the Quantum MKII more desirable to me.