Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - So whatever happened to laughter?

Just watched a Mr. Bean special Friday night; quite a laugh-inducing documentary of Rowan Atkinson's career. Now I've got to see the Mr. Bean movie. 

Then for print there's Mr. Boffo - and his wonder-dog Weederman. A Sunday Chicago Tribune multi-pane sketch featuring Weederman had me in stitches: "Why arf?".

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

As long as guys like John Mulaney are still around, laughter ain't going nowhere.

As far as the "Old Masters" go, Mel Brooks is releasing History of the World Part II this year. I'm in my late 20's, and all of my peers and I are pretty damn happy about it.

16 hours ago, RABid said:

I have "Best of Ed Sullivan Show" 1 and 2, each a double DVD. My sister borrowed them and made her grandchildren watch. They were fascinated with the comedy, music and acrobatic acts. Every time they would come back they asked to watch the next DVD.

I miss movies like "Young Dr. Frankenstein." My favorite comedy. Sometimes you have to create your own comedic spots in otherwise dark movies. I remember going to watch Halloween in the theater with two musician buddies. I saw it the week before. It was new to them. So when the main character was searching for someone in a spooky house, right when they opened the closet door and the dead body swung down from above I grabbed one of my friends and growled. He jumped up so fast this bowl of popcorn went flying. He turned around to me and shouted "You scared the hell out of me." People in the theater started cracking up and when he realized that everyone was looking at him, well, that may be my favorite movie moment. We were still laughing at him when the movie was over.

I went with friends to see Full Metal Jacket, Stanley Kubrick's black humor masterpiece. 

Every so often, I'd just bust out laughing. My friends kept telling me to be quiet, they thought it was a serious movie. 

That made me laugh even harder. 

Good comedy in songs? Ray Stevens comes to mind, The Streak, Guitarzan etc... 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

American Producers started Scriptwriters on the Dumbed Down Audience route.

If we try to watch an American so called comedy of the last thirty years it is cringingly bad.

Ever since Dumb and Dumber, Me myself  Irene, anything with Will Farrell, The Hangover Series.  

This list goes on and on and on as to being unwatchable.

Col

What really bothers me is the current trend to take children's cartoons and make them into adult only content. Fox took the Archies and created Riverdale. First episode a 13 year old Archie has an affair with a teacher before his sophomore year. HBO Max takes Teen Titans and covers weak dialog by inserting the F word every other sentence. Last night I started to watch Velma, an HBO Max modernization of Scooby Doo. Second sentence of dialog Velma describes Daphany as a bitch and soon after they go to a female shower scene. 

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

51 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Good comedy in songs? Ray Stevens comes to mind, The Streak, Guitarzan etc... 

Ah, Ray Stevens. His song, "Would Jesus Wear a Rolex?" is priceless. 

And from the album track listings, that's Ray himself on piano...

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Just now, allan_evett said:

Ah, Ray Stevens. His song, "Would Jesus Wear a Rolex?" is priceless. 

And from the album track listings, that's Ray himself on piano...

Yep, that's a good one!!! 

There is a LONG list of humorous Ray Stevens songs, many are so NOT PC that they are no longer played. 

Benny Hill wrote a few funny songs as well and again NOT PC. 

It's complicated, all humans are completely absurd, the most vicious and ridiculous of the predator apes. 

In theory, we should all be made fun of constantly and we should all shrug it off with a laugh because "what ya gonna do?". In reality, many people feel persecuted and demeaned and I totally get that. I'm not big on hurting other people's feelings. 

Difficult path to traverse!!!!!

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

8 hours ago, RABid said:

What really bothers me is the current trend to take children's cartoons and make them into adult only content. Fox took the Archies and created Riverdale. First episode a 13 year old Archie has an affair with a teacher before his sophomore year. HBO Max takes Teen Titans and covers weak dialog by inserting the F word every other sentence. Last night I started to watch Velma, an HBO Max modernization of Scooby Doo. Second sentence of dialog Velma describes Daphany as a bitch and soon after they go to a female shower scene. 

Missed opportunity. I'd always hoped for a Velma/Scooby scene. You know, the kind Stephen King would write.

• Haha 1

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

• 2 weeks later...

I don't find very many of the modern animated comedy shows funny, but that's just me. I have a hard time watching Family Guy, even though the showrunner for a long time (David A. Goodman, now showrunner for The Orville – which is very funny) is my cousin and we grew up together.

But finding laughter has never been hard for me. I love to laugh and hear people laugh, and I don't much care (usually) if they're laughing with me or at me.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music