Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cleaning house, suddenly in a trash it or sell it mood.

I have a problem. I cannot get rid of gear or anything music related. It is like there is a subconscious value attached to my mind that refuses to let me throw anything musical away. Well, I started putting things up for sale on Sweetwater and that has carried over to a good music room cleaning. Sell it or trash it. That is my new moto. With a Reverb.com page open on the computer everything gets evaluated. It is hard to believe that I have held onto things like NI Kore 2 or Propellerhead Balance which never wanted to work for me. Checked the price on Reverb, not worth boxing and hauling to the post office, off to the trash bin. I was surprised to see that the Roland Sonic Cell is selling for a decent price. Off to the table for photos and a listing on Sweetwater. Oh my, a stack of Gigastudio sample sets. Too the trash. Same with sample CD's for Roland and Yamaha hardware. Wow. Didn't know I still had the DX and AN cards out of my Yamaha AN200 and DX200 boxes. I removed them to put in a keyboard, then removed them again when I sold the keyboard. Off to check Reverb. 

Anyone with experience in going through old music stuff? Any suggestions?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I am close to being able to move back home to my condo, after nearly a year waiting for water damage to be repaired.

I brought a small, basic recording system over to the place where I am staying and I've found that it's almost enough gear.

Which means I have quite a bit of stuff I can sell, trade, give away to friends donate to thrift stores or toss in the dumpster. 

As a separate endeavor, for decades I've shopped thrift stores and craigslist and purchased items that I knew I could sell for a decent profit. I have a fair bit of that laying around too, mostly from thrift stores. I like those because thieves will never donate stolen items to Goodwill so it's a clean purchase. It's not all music gear, there's some photography gear I don't use as well. 

AND... I have all sorts of stuff from when I was a guitar tech and I think it's safe to let go of a good chunk of that as well. 

Looking forward to clearing things out!!! Soon... 😇

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:22 AM, RABid said:

I have a problem. I cannot get rid of gear or anything music related.(snip)

Any suggestions?

Hey Rob, tell us the name of your Reverb site, maybe we can help. :cool:

One man's trash is another man's treasure, n'est-ce pas? 

:nopity:

1 hour ago, RABid said:

I have a problem. I cannot get rid of gear or anything music related. It is like there is a subconscious value attached to my mind that refuses to let me throw anything musical away.

I am the same way. It would be like betraying a friend :)

FWIW Kore 2's controller is still a cute, sexy USB control surface that Windows people can use with an older version of the controller app (back when Kore was still supported). With that caveat, a Windows user might want to buy it. For all I know it might work with Apple Silicon under Rosetta.

Also Kontakt can load Gigastudio sample sets. Before you trash them, let me put in an offer!

Do you prefer selling through Sweetwater or Reverb.com?

Right now I am using Sweetwater because I want to use the money for a Fantom 7 and a Roland TD-50x V-drum module. There is not selling fee if you take Sweetwater credit as payout. Wow, there are a lot of tax documents now. Will be interesting to see how people do that sold used instruments this year. From what I understand, if you sell at a loss there is not income tax, but how much paperwork do you have to have? Had my first sale and am halfway to the Fantom 7. Still got a lot of stuff to list. Ibanez basses, Fender and Ibanez guitars, more Roland Boutiques. Started to list my Roland MV-1 because I use my MC-707 but Roland has dropped the price on those so much that I will just hold on for now. I've just about backed out on selling my Elektron A4 and AR. I think this is my link.

https://www.sweetwater.com/used/storefront/rbrown-rabid

I have no problem with "holding on" in the sense of being unable to part with things...it's a problem I used to have, but I've come to appreciate paring down at home, with gear, in every way.

The problem:  I absolutely loathe selling big items like keyboards.   The process of it, the stress that something is going to go wrong.  I hate it locally, I hate it when shipping is involved.  It's 97% of the reason I have as much as I do, I have at least one keyboard I'm probably selling (Novation Summit) that's been sitting here unused for months.    Besides the fact that it actually is a PITA, it's also confrontational (or feels that way).  Selling to someone I know would be a different story.  

2 hours ago, Stokely said:

I absolutely loathe selling big items like keyboards.

This is why I used to try to buy tabletop synths whenever possible. Keyboards and , uggg, guitar amps. It is bad enough to sell a 12" combo tube guitar amp, but I also have two Genz Benz Uber 1288T bass cabinets to sell and no one local is going to go for them.  Do I need them? One is still in the box. The idea of shipping them....

I did have someone try to screw me over when I sold a Kronos on Ebay. A month after he received the keyboard he sent me a message saying it arrived non working. I told him to take it to a technician and get a repair price. A month after that he messaged me back saying the technician told him it was trash and could not be repaired. I asked him for contact information of the technician and never got it. He just sent another message accusing me of selling him junk and wanting his money back. I asked for pictures and when he sent some I could tell it was a different keyboard with a different serial number. He filed with Ebay and they immediately pulled the sale price out of my bank account. A week later they judged in my favor and put the money back but I was furious they took it out in the first place. It soured me on selling for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/9/2023 at 11:22 AM, RABid said:

I have a problem. I cannot get rid of gear or anything music related. <...snip...>

Anyone with experience in going through old music stuff? Any suggestions?

Keep it, don't throw anything out. You'll be sorry if you do. :D:D:D

I, too, have a hard time getting rid of anything that is music related.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

A long time back, a good friend's brother offered a useful comparison.

Musicians may have a lot of gear, and almost certainly have some attachment to their gear, but they also have a use for each piece of gear.

Collectors may have a lot of gear, but very often, their goal is the collecting, in and of itself.

I've seen one house with Guitars hanging on nearly every wall, but the homeowner/collector didn't really play, and the Guitars themselves didn't represent an investment, like a collection of Vintage Instruments would. It was just a bunch of perfectly good Guitars largely going to waste as wall-hangers. Seemed a shame.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

With me, it's an attachment.

Another sax player wanted to buy a mouthpiece that I no longer use. I couldn't part with it. It has my teeth marks in it, and was a close friend to me for the first 30+ years of my career. I will probably never play it again, and it's only a piece of stainless steel with a hard rubber pad for the teeth (which can be replaced), but it is more than a tool, more than a piece of history, more than a friend, and almost a part of my former self. (An extension of myself?)

I did give away a guitar to a student who needed one, but I never really bonded with that one. I don't think I could part with the Parker I've been using for the last few years.

I have a closet full of music books. Thousands and thousands of songs. So many that I can't find what I want without searching through hundreds of table of contents pages in scores of books. I often buy sheet music on-line to later found out that I have the music in my collection. But I won't give the books away.

So I'm weird.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

On 1/9/2023 at 12:47 PM, Anderton said:

Also Kontakt can load Gigastudio sample sets. Before you trash them, let me put in an offer!

Still looking. So far I have found Acid libraries, Reason refills on CD, a sound effect collection in wave, and some loop libraries. Have not found Gigastudio, Roland or Yamaha sample libraries on CD. I'm wondering if they were in the storage rental I was using that someone broke into and wiped out. I'm not really sure what was there other than my comic book collection and items from my parents' house. Must have used a big truck or spent more than one day doing it because they wiped out 8 units. Honestly the only thing they got that really mattered to me was a 60 old globe I grew up with. Anyway, I'll keep looking. If I find them I will just send them to you.

Interesting thread.  I started out with, let's be generous, minimal early synths. As the technology got better and my income did likewise, I ultimately reached a certain grand swell, with a Korg 01W controlling three keyboard synths and several modules. I took up two more Tritons and then descended to my current coda of being all ITB, aside from the E-mu Planet Earth module. Its one of those unique keepers. It hasn't been a matter of trashing things and more one of outgrowing them. One of my newbie keyboard dreams was a Moraz stack. The other was what I have now: everything right in front of me. :keys:

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"