Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XP wav file copy?

Does anyone know of a way to copy a wav file off of a typical audio CD by simply dragging it to a folder?

I know there are many programs to rip cd's, etc.

But does anyone know a way to simply view a cd in Win explorer and see it as a wav, then drag it to a folder.

Thi was possible in 98 but I can not find a way in XP.

I'm asking this as a favor for a friend.

Looking for a quick and dirty way to see a wav rather than a cda and know it's size in mb and get it into a new folder.

Thanks

TB

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, I think this would require some kind of specialized driver since since standard, Red Book audio CDs don't really have a file system. A driver that understood the Red Book standard and could emulate a file system would be required.

If you could do it on a Win98 machine then perhaps that system had some software installed which provided that capability. I don't remember Windows 98 having that capability natively, out of the box.

Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

Well now that you mention it, I don't either. But my friend has screen shots showing Track 1.wav.

I think he has cdfs installed. That's what I used to run. It would allow you to pick wav's off of a cd. But I don't know for sure as I don't have a 98 box handy.

cdfs is still avalable as a .vxd but I don't know if that can be run in XP by any means. If so, I don't know how.

Originally posted by Anderton:

You can rip using Windows Media Player from Audio CD to Windows Media Audio, but not WAV.

So Craig, how does one extract a wav. from a cd in Win XP?

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Okay, we go the extra mile around here...I just fired up my OS X and XP machines, inserted an audio CD, and checked out what happens.

With OS X, you can drag a CDA file to the desktop, and it's converted into an AIFF file. So that's close to what you want, although it's not a WAV. But it's easy to convert AIFF to WAV and vice-versa.

With XP, if you open a CD in Windows Media Player, you have the option to copy it to your "MyMusic" folder in Windows Media format. You have a choice of compression options, from standard lossy WMA to a mathematically lossless compression scheme. The latter takes up less space than a CD -- it seemed to average about 2/3 of a standard CD.

If you want to convert a CD file into WAV, just about any audio editor can open an audio CD track and save it as a WAV file. I also think Cakewalk's Pyro can do it, and it's not expensive...maybe even Music Match can.

As you can probably tell, using CD audio files in my computer is not something I do alot, so it was kind of interesting to do this research.

Thanks everyone.

I use Exact Audio Copy if I ever need to copy a cd file. It's a great freeware program. Google "EAC" if anyone is interested.

We have come to the conclusion that in XP it simply can not be done as a drag and drop like it could in Win98 with the hacked version of cdfs.vxd?

Archived