Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody running MacOS Ventura?

I always update to the latest version the very moment a macOS or iOS update is available. I even use betas sometimes. I’ve rarely had issues. And I have never had any issues with the audio software (Logic Pro, third-party plugins, MainStage, Audacity) on my Mac even with betas. But I’m not a pro musician and don’t earn money with making music on my Mac, so I can understand people who are afraid to update.

Lowering/disabling your security settings is insane though. 

22 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I always update to the latest version the very moment a macOS or iOS update is available. I even use betas sometimes. I’ve rarely had issues. And I have never had any issues with the audio software (Logic Pro, third-party plugins, MainStage, Audacity) on my Mac even with betas. But I’m not a pro musician and don’t earn money with making music on my Mac, so I can understand people who are afraid to update.

Lowering/disabling your security settings is insane though. 

I saw Plugin Alliance plugins go unstable with the Ventura upgrade, which wasn’t fixed until about August or so of this year…?

I still had to switch early, as an insurance claim saw me replacing my old MacBook with an M2 Pro. Smooth sailing apart from the PA issue. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

1 hour ago, analogika said:

I saw Plugin Alliance plugins go unstable with the Ventura upgrade

I’ve had problems with one of the PA plugins, the Knifonium (citing the name off my memory, might not be exact) even before Ventura and they said it was not compatible with some of the previous macOS update. The other PA plugin I have, the Oberhausen, has been OK. So, yeah, indeed I’ve had problems with PA, now that you mentioned it. But I think it may also be a developer issue since the API-s and betas are available long before the official release and apparently they do nothing to test and fix and wait for people to start complaining. Not a huge fan of PA for that reason although both plugins sound really good. 

11 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

I’ve had problems with one of the PA plugins, the Knifonium (citing the name off my memory, might not be exact) even before Ventura and they said it was not compatible with some of the previous macOS update. The other PA plugin I have, the Oberhausen, has been OK. So, yeah, indeed I’ve had problems with PA, now that you mentioned it. But I think it may also be a developer issue since the API-s and betas are available long before the official release and apparently they do nothing to test and fix and wait for people to start complaining. Not a huge fan of PA for that reason although both plugins sound really good. 

I've mentioned elsewhere that I’m sympathetic towards developers having better things to do supporting multiple platforms and multiple formats, and developing new software, rather than running after the moving target of major OS developer betas. Especially since anyone who actually depends on this software will know not to upgrade mission-critical setups without thorough testing. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

My Mac Pro 2012, MBP 2016, and iMac 2018 are all frozen at High Sierra.  Too many file compatibility issues with systems at different macOS versions.  And I got TIRED of iMovie menus changing with every upgrade of macOS (strangles phantom throat).

Only issue is Safari is old enough that some websites no longer work on it, but I get around that with Brave or Chrome.

Sometimes you have no choice in upgrading*, like when my late-2013 MBP with Mojave died and I got myself a new 15" Air. I thought going from 10.14 to 13 – skipping two generations of MacOSes, not to mention going from Intel to Apple Silicon – was gonna be rough, but surprisingly it wasn't too bad. I had exactly one 32-bit plugin I had to find a substitute for, Piz Midi's MidiChords (which I just found out may have been recompiled for newer Macs!), It took about a half a day to migrate my old user account, then download & reinstall or update my music sw to AS-native versions.

*OK I had a choice - coulda bought a used Mac. Seeing as we're already three years into the Apple Silicon world, and seeing as I got a good 9 years out of my late-2013, and seeing as Apple gave me an edu discount on the new laptop along with 0% financing with a year to pay it off, and a $150 gift card I used to help pay for the $200 "edu bundle" of Logic, Final Cut Pro, Motion, and Compressor... it wasn't that hard a choice!

I did update my Ventura to the latest version but see no need to go further night now - this is my gigging machine and everything is working great.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, analogika said:

I've mentioned elsewhere that I’m sympathetic towards developers having better things to do supporting multiple platforms and multiple formats, and developing new software, rather than running after the moving target of major OS developer betas

I don't disagree with that but unless we're talking about small independent developers, the big companies such as PA should have at least one QA/integration engineer to always test their set of plugins with various OS/platforms. It doesn't take much and can basically be done in a few hours. I'm not saying they need to jump into fixing their plugins right away (although why not?), but at least there needs to be some clarity and transparency with their customers. I have never received an email from PA that says something along the lines of: since you're a customer of this and that plugin, we would like to inform you that they won't work with the forthcoming macOS update and we're doing our best to support and will let you know as soon as possible.

• Like 1