Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hydrasynth Ribbon - MIDI?

Need some help here. I haven't had a multi keyboard setup in over 25 years (workstations up until 4-5 years ago) and software based since then. I used MIDI pre-USB. I just added a Hydrasynth Deluxe to my setup. I've updated the firmware, reviewed the manual and available videos. With Ribbon Pitch Bend Transmit set to "on" I can't seem to get the ribbon to control my software synths, particularly the GX-80. 

Am I missing something simple and obvious?

Thanks for helping the old guy...

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Does the regular pitch bend wheel work? If not, then maybe it’s the plug-in that needs to be programmed to recognize the pitch bend data first?

Also, you may try enabling parameter transmit and set it to CC (page 6) but I don’t think that’s needed at all because the setting is for the knobs and not for the ribbon. But who knows. 

All other MIDI parameters are working. The MIDI learn function is available on my software synths for all parameters except the ribbon.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

6 hours ago, Motif88 said:With Ribbon Pitch Bend Transmit set to "on" I can't seem to get the ribbon to control my software synths, particularly the GX-80. 

You might consider cross posting your question over at the MPN Gearlab Review of the GX80. At least one of the reviewers  is using the Hydrasynth while testing the GX80. Hope this helps.

I got it, user error. I went to a patch that has the ribbon assigned in the mod matrix on the Hydrasynth then routed the MIDI accordingly via Logic and there it is!

It's been a long time since I had to ensure my MIDI routing and control parameters were working on my KX-88, those were the early years for sure...

Thank you!

Using:

Sold/Traded:

I've been using weighted 88 key controllers and workstations for so long, the Hydrasynth poly after touch is a new joy!

For the record the Kronos 88 aftertouch sucked..

Using:

Sold/Traded:

ahh...poly aftertouch with Diva and GX-80 among others. I was holding out for an Osmose and did not preorder. Since I haven't played an Osmose I refrain from commenting other than, the Hydrasynth Deluxe is a kick ass synth and controller!

• Like 1

Using:

Sold/Traded:

• 7 months later...

Hi Motif88,

Can you give advice on how to set up hydrasynth deluxe as my main logic controller?

Logic itself seems to be getting some midi info, but when I open a Kontakt instrument or Arturia plugin they don’t respond.

Do I need to make a special patch specially to get the kind of midi info Logic needs, or do I need to use the midi-out connector rather than usb?

I’ve only used midi keyboards before and was expecting to just plug this in and it work - ha ha!

Any help from people here would be gratefully received.

9 hours ago, GCA said:

Hi Motif88,

Can you give advice on how to set up hydrasynth deluxe as my main logic controller?

Logic itself seems to be getting some midi info, but when I open a Kontakt instrument or Arturia plugin they don’t respond.

Do I need to make a special patch specially to get the kind of midi info Logic needs, or do I need to use the midi-out connector rather than usb?

I’ve only used midi keyboards before and was expecting to just plug this in and it work - ha ha!

Any help from people here would be gratefully received.

Sure...I have both the Hydrasynth Deluxe and Roland RD-2000 connected to my Mac via USB for MIDI (the RD actually has a audio interface so it provides both Audio & MIDI).

Make sure your Hydra appears in the "MIDI Studio" of you Mac's Audio MIDI Setup app.

In Logic select the Hydra for the MIDI In Port.

Set the correct midi channel and choose your plug-in.

See attached. In my example, I'm using the Hydrasynth to play Omnisphere on midi channel 3.

Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 1.30.31 PM.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 1.27.18 PM.jpeg

Using:

Sold/Traded:

On 12/3/2022 at 2:40 PM, Motif88 said:

Need some help here. I haven't had a multi keyboard setup in over 25 years (workstations up until 4-5 years ago) and software based since then. I used MIDI pre-USB. I just added a Hydrasynth Deluxe to my setup. I've updated the firmware, reviewed the manual and available videos. With Ribbon Pitch Bend Transmit set to "on" I can't seem to get the ribbon to control my software synths, particularly the GX-80. 

Am I missing something simple and obvious?

Thanks for helping the old guy...

I don't see the way to have the Ribbon send PitchBend events out on MIDI, but it looks like you can use it to send any Continuous Controller (MIDI CC) events. Via the Mod Matrix.

Pick Ribbon as a MOD source (pg 94) then see page 95 in the owners manual. Looks like you pick "MIDI" as the MOD destination and pick a CC# - that should send MIDI events out on that controller number when you work the ribbon. Your host/DAW should be able to assign that CC# to many different functions.

Correction: Owners Manual page 109 shows that you CAN send pitch bend MIDI events with the ribbon. Just need to enable it in the MIDI menu pg 6, and set the Ribbon mode to Pitch Bend (page 82).

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.