Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

All-in-one keyboard+guitar cases...oddball question

So, I've got a situation I want to take care of on the cheap. 

Emphasis on cheap, which you'll note when I state what instruments I wish to carry.  Not one at a time, but either-or.

I've been looking and looking for a case that can fit my old Hammond XK-1, and yet have enough room to double as a quick-and-dirty case for my Ibanez AF55 hollow-body guitar (yes, probably add some padding for the guitar on my own, but I'm a terrible guitar player, so it's not for live shows or anything, just keep from getting banged up unduly for bringing it out occasionally to friends' places and such).

The Hammond-Suzuki might get pulled out for the odd job or so, but it would travel in my own vehicle, so it doesn't need to be super-robust.  Don't like soft-sided "gig bags" for either guitar or keys.

Just to restate, a rectangular case with enough room to hold either instrument, for less than 200 bucks US, for quick and dirty transpo.

Any ideas or suggestions or both?

OTOH, although just a gig bag, the Hammond XK-3 should hit all the marks:  I don't mind the Hammond-Suzuki insignia.  That *should* be deep enough for the Ibanez hollowbody.  Something a bit more durable and subdued would be ideal, but that's about as far as my "research" has got me for something that *might* work, as a compromise.

"

61WdFqODggL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Check out this older posting of mine -- they make these heavy duty hard cases (meant for rifles, by the way) in different lengths.  I got one to protect my Hammond SK Pro 73.

Other similar cases might work for you.

Old No7

• Thanks 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I read the OP. 

I think you should shop around for a padded guitar gig bag with backpack straps and just put the guitar in that. 

I've been using them for decades, as long as you don't run over it in a car, your guitar will be fine. It is by far the easiest way to carry a guitar and the accessory bags will usually hold everything else you need except an amp (I've always got a Tech 21 Para Driver Di in mine - can just go into the PA if I must).

I've found over a dozen nice gig bags in great condition at thrift stores and none of them cost more than $15.

Then you can get a dedicated keyboard case without worrying about where to put your guitar and both instruments will be protected. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Not a bad idea, at all, ]KuruPrionz.  I do like having separate cases for all things....a nice case for my Mackie 1202 mixer would be good too.  (Or at least a nice "utility case" for mixer, cables, pedals, all that stuff).

But, yeah, I don't foresee a time when I'd be carrying both the Hammond and the guitar at the same time!  Nobody, but nobody, wants to hear me scratching and clawing at Wes chord solos or my lame attempts to try Mark Knopfler's fingerstyle!  I haven't even plugged the guitar in at home, and probably won't for a long time.  It's plenty loud enough, as a full hollow body, for just plinking around on!

• Like 1

My xk1-c fits in a smallish rectangular guitar case nicely. Unfortunately, it is currently in the repair shop along with the case, or I’d tell you the case maker. It’s not a Fender case, but it looks like a case that would fit a telecaster and the previous owner probably removed some guitar shaped filler material to convert it into case for xk1-c. Seems like it’d be easy to find a similar case used someplace. .     

• Like 1

Yeah, it's tricky, because while there are cases with the Ibanez emblem designed for the AF55 (actually, I'm very happy with this guitar as the first I've had since I sold my 1974 SG Special a while ago....it's not a boutique nor an expensive guitar, but it does the trick just fine)....I just have a real preference for rectangular cases.  No real reason, I just prefer the look of them and, it occurred to me that I could get some double duty out of one for my old XK-1, should I ever decide to start playing out again (not that likely, since I'm working my way up the corporate/logistics straight job that requires me to be awake at 0300 most days....and run the voodoo down till about that time in the afternoon.  Plus, I despise most of the "crowds" [well, you know....small handfuls!] that infest the clubs and bars in mid-to-late-afternoons/evenings....people who can't hold their liquor and stuff....had enough of that over the years).

The AF55 is an odd size to match up with a case that would hold the XK-1 in a pinch....19.5" x 15.75" x 3⅝"  Just a matter of trial and error.  I think one of the double rifle cases will fit the bill just fine....or, when I pull the trigger on some Thomastik-Infeld George Benson 14 flatwounds that a local music shop happens to have in stock, just bring the guitar in, pay them to change the strings, just for goodwill and to save time with me monkeying around with the floating bridge and tweaking the intonation, and see what they have. 

Trust me, the old XK-1 has seen so many gigs just carrying around naked, or crammed into an 88-key Yamaha soft case, she won't mind a bit.  She does want me to replace her CR2032 battery, though!  Probably should do that sometime!

• Like 1