Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard News: first Masters Degree in Historical Improvisation, now in Stuttgart...

uhoh7

I know.....those who can...do, right?

But this is pretty impressive, and a very interesting person:

"Noam Sivan was a Director of Improvisation at the Curtis Institute of Music and a faculty member at the Juilliard School. Currently he is Professor of Piano Improvisation at the State University of Music and Performing Arts Stuttgart, where he will open in October 2020 a Master’s degree in classical piano improvisation, one of the first such programs worldwide"

What do you think?

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

A worthy endeavor in historical styles that are currently performed with little to no room for improvisation.  Of course those who are well versed in these styles, particularly  in composition, have the knowledge necessary to improvise - it’s the fluidity that is typically missing with players because it requires practice - specifically practicing improvising, imagining, learning, growing in expression and use of the language.  

No different from Jazz or other improvisatory styles and sub genres.   Learn the the language, what makes the music sound the way it does.  Play it a LOT, experience a lot, experiment, try things out until you find what works and build on that.  A life long journey.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 11/20/2022 at 2:10 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

A worthy endeavor in historical styles that are currently performed with little to no room for improvisation.

A number of compositions by the usual suspects (Brahms, Mozart, etc.)  include cadenza.   The soloist could improvise the cadenza or play a pre-written one.   The demand for perfection in performance no doubt drove the demand for pre-composed cadenza, although some soloists today do improvise, such as the aforementioned Gabriela Montero.

I saw Hilary Hahn play in a duo with a pianist who was into prepared piano.  I wouldn't say Hahn was soloing like Jean Luc Ponty or Jerry Goodman, but she was clearly improvising, playing off what the pianist was doing.

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

A number of compositions by the usual suspects (Brahms, Mozart, etc.)  include cadenza.   The soloist could improvise the cadenza or play a pre-written one.   The demand for perfection in performance no doubt drove the demand for pre-composed cadenza, although some soloists today do improvise, such as the aforementioned Gabriela Montero.

I saw Hilary Hahn play in a duo with a pianist who was into prepared piano.  I wouldn't say Hahn was soloing like Jean Luc Ponty or Jerry Goodman, but she was clearly improvising, playing off what the pianist was doing.

Correct, Cadenza.  It's all over the classical period.  I know in vocal performance there's a tendency these days to do the cadenza the way it's been popularized with only minor personal mark. 

Hilary is a fabulous violinist.  Gifted with perfect pitch and seemingly born for the instrument - not to mention an astounding work ethic.  I'm always in awe of players/performers who have managed to reach these heights. 

Point being it's not a stretch to suggest that classically trained players spend a lot more time on other things - perfecting technique, memorizing repertoire that wins them contests and gets them gigs, than they do on improvisation. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560