Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard for a 12 year old beginner.

surfergirl

19 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

Yes, I have also seen that, but you have to give kids a chance, or there's no point complaining about less and less kids getting into music. Like I said, with today's tech you can get a perfectly suitable keyboard for $500 or less, even new, which is on the reasonable price range for this type of situation IMO...you don't want to give someone a bad/excessively cheap instrument that will turn them away from playing, but you certainly don't need a workstation board or something for this type of thing. Just don't get garbage. And let's face it, kids do like to enjoy what they're doing; so if a keyboard sounds and feels like crap, it's going to be way less engaging than we would hope (I'm thinking of the low-low end Casios, department store keyboards, Alesis stuff, and the whole assortment of off-brand stuff on Amazon/eBay, for example, or anything non-touch-sensitive for this purpose). If the idea is to encourage someone to try music, they need a good starting point.

The PSR model mentioned is a good option, as is the Casio CT-S1. Another possibility might be a Casio CTX-700. All under $250 new, so well under $500 even.

Edit: I mean, heck, I used to gig with a YPG-235 that was in that price bracket when I was starting out.

Absolutely. I didn't have a special price point in mind, just a general observation.

19 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Bill5, you are the reason I don't post on the football pages anymore because you know everything.

I'm 22

Really? Because getting into a snit and attacking someone because they dared to express an opinion is more like the behavior of someone who's closer to 12. Maybe the keyboard really was for you? If not, then never mind what I said, maybe you should spend a lot, because there's no way she won't stick with playing the rest of her life, because 12 yr olds never change their mind about such things. What was I thinking? Thanks for pointing that out.

PS and FYI: having an opinion does not equate to one "thinking they know everything." But I'll miss you here and on the football threads. No really. But don't worry, I'll make sure not to visit the guitar thing and - gasp - express an opinion.

48 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Really? Because getting into a snit and attacking someone because they dared to express an opinion is more like the behavior of someone who's closer to 12. Maybe the keyboard really was for you? If not, then never mind what I said, maybe you should spend a lot, because there's no way she won't stick with playing the rest of her life, because 12 yr olds never change their mind about such things. What was I thinking? Thanks for pointing that out.

PS and FYI: having an opinion does not equate to one "thinking they know everything." But I'll miss you here and on the football threads. No really. But don't worry, I'll make sure not to visit the guitar thing and - gasp - express an opinion.

Sorry.:wave:

Jennifer S.

On 11/21/2022 at 12:49 PM, surfergirl said:

I looked at used and only one on Craigslist and it didn't look like it was worth a 30 mile drive to look at. We have changed from the Casio to a Yamaha PSR- E373. I feel comfortable with the Yamaha brand. My mother has a Yamaha acoustic that has survived 25 years of beach parties and our lead guitarist has two Yamaha's.

So awesome of you to get her a keyboard!  

Hope you stick around so you can report how she likes it.  Even talk about football again if you like.  😎

I'm thinking again about my nephew who got his dad (my cousin) to buy him a guitar.  Cousin didn't believe he'd really stick with it, so he got the boy a cheap Strat.  Boy proved him wrong, so he had to live up to his side of the bargain and get him the Les Paul that he wanted in the first place.  🤣

• Like 3

On 11/23/2022 at 5:28 PM, surfergirl said:

Since this isn't going to be a big surprise, I may just take her to my local music store and let her pick out what she wants.

Go armed with enough info to guide her toward a decision. It could be quite overwhelming for her.