Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sweetwater replacement gear

GRollins

I've been an audiophile (and worked sales twice, and designed and serviced gear) since the '70s. We were on the forefront of the whole contact cleaning thing all the way back when the best you could do was either Revereware pot cleaner or Brasso, so I'm hip to that. It's not a question of oxidation, it's a question of MIDI. How on earth could a MIDI signal be getting through intact enough to have notes starting and stopping, pitch changing, etc. and yet note volume (velocity, maybe?) be the only thing that's erratic? This I cannot understand. It seems that other parameters would be affected as well.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I once "complained" to my Sweetwater rep that I was 'sick of the damned taffy and can't we at least get Kit-Kats at Christmas??' He laughed and said "Oh, the staff hordes them for our party!" 😆 So, yeah, another vote of confidence here. Great business, run right.

• Like 1

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

I've been upset with Sweetwater ever since they cheaped out and stopped including cinnamon barrels in their little candy bags. :P

On the positive side, last year I told my rep that the order I just made was in celebration of my 20th year as a customer and I expected extra candy for the event. Didn't get extra candy. Got a Sweetwater t-shirt and rush shipping. :)

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Speaking of Sweetwater, if you haven’t been there, and it’s within driving distance, go. It’s worth it. It’s about a five hour drive for me, and I’ve made the trip a few times. 

• Like 1
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

34 minutes ago, stillearning said:

Speaking of Sweetwater, if you haven’t been there, and it’s within driving distance, go. It’s worth it

Oh yea, it's unlike any "music store" you've ever seem. More like a "music metropolis." I was there once four years ago and I understand they're even bigger now.

59 minutes ago, stillearning said:

Speaking of Sweetwater, if you haven’t been there, and it’s within driving distance, go. It’s worth it. It’s about a five hour drive for me, and I’ve made the trip a few times. 

It's a few hours drive from me but when I'm driving out to the east coast I go right by it.  Not even on purpose.  A few years back I was driving back from PA and I had an original song idea in my head and I was about 3 hours away from sweetwater.  I turned on my recorder app on my phone and whistled the parts.  When I got to sweetwater I pulled out a thumbdrive, sat at the very same workstation I had at home, sequenced all the parts, and came home and finished it.  Someone on the floor asked if I needed any help and I explained what I was doing and he got me a cup of soda and gave me a thumbs up.  

If you go, be sure to let your salesperson know you'll be there and ask for a tour.  It's pretty sweet.

-Mc

• Like 1

On my first trip, my wife and I stayed overnight nearby, and spent two days there. Did the full tour, got some free swag, spent a few hours in the showroom, had dinner there, and I got a haircut. Yes, you can get your hair cut and have lunch there. If you have a relationship with a salesperson, definitely let them know you’re coming.

Next trip I’m going to plan around Gear Fest. But if you’re going to stay overnight, make hotel reservations in advance.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

13 hours ago, McHale said:

If you go, be sure to let your salesperson know you'll be there and ask for a tour.  It's pretty sweet.

13 hours ago, stillearning said:

Yes, you can get your hair cut and have lunch there.

And a cappuccino. And play a few rounds of pinball. Here's my post from four years ago, and keep in mind that from what I've heard, the place is much bigger now!

I've dealt with Sweetwater for at least 20 years, and have had nothing but fantastic service from them. Years ago, had a Universal Audio PCI DSP card die under warranty while I was mixing a project under deadline, they overnighted me a new card before I returned the defective card so I lost minimal time. I believe all I paid for was shipping to return the defective card to them.

Most recently, I got an Arturia Keylab 61 that bricked while updating the firmware a day or 2 after I received it, while Arturia was not much help, Sweetwater sent me a new board that they had pre-installed the new firmware onto.

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Are you able to negotiate discounts with 

Sweetwater?  

I have used musicians friend and guitar center as I always call and get 15%- for a while you could get 20% but not anymore. 

On 11/8/2022 at 7:45 PM, NewImprov said:

I've dealt with Sweetwater for at least 20 years, and have had nothing but fantastic service from them. Years ago, had a Universal Audio PCI DSP card die under warranty while I was mixing a project under deadline, they overnighted me a new card before I returned the defective card so I lost minimal time. I believe all I paid for was shipping to return the defective card to them.

Most recently, I got an Arturia Keylab 61 that bricked while updating the firmware a day or 2 after I received it, while Arturia was not much help, Sweetwater sent me a new board that they had pre-installed the new firmware onto.

I have the 61 MKII and it has been a fantastic game changer for me- that is great service by them

52 minutes ago, LarsHarner2 said:

Are you able to negotiate discounts with 

Sweetwater?  

I have used musicians friend and guitar center as I always call and get 15%- for a while you could get 20% but not anymore. 

I have the 61 MKII and it has been a fantastic game changer for me- that is great service by them

Many manufactures are getting like Apple and controlling how much and when dealer can discount products.   I found with Sweetwater when they can't budge on price they will create a bundle and include something at little or no extra charge as a way to "Sweeten" the deal.    The last big item I got from them was a keyboard and I asked them what they could bundle and they flat out just asked me what did I want and I said I needed a good bag for the keyboard.   They threw in one of the good Gator bags at no extra cost.    All I had to do is ask.  

• Like 1

I have never had Sweetwater send me a refurbished piece of gear to replace  faulty new gear. I have had the opposite happen. I purchased a demo Line 6 Helix Guitar pedal. It locked up when powered up and I called Sweetwater support. They walked me through a possible fix and when it didn't work they overnighted me a brand new one with no added cost and paid for the return shipping for the demo. Above and beyond as always.

I don't claim to know what happened behind the scenes. All I know is that the first one was tidy and cleanly wrapped; it gave every appearance of being brand new. The second and third ones were clearly retaped and the second was was defective in a similar, but not identical way to the first one. I didn't take pictures of the second one--should have, but didn't. I photographed the third one...some of which I posted above. I have more pictures if you want. The second unit's packing was similar in appearance to the third.

So far, the third is working okay.

I have to admit that this episode will be in the back of my mind the next time I want to buy gear.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.