Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Problem with Studio One seeing my microphone

A couple of months back I struggled with my Presonus Studio 2/6  attempting to do some simple recording.  It seems to be a Studio One issue.  I also tried my  Focusrite Scarlet 4i4.  The hardware LED's  (on both units) are seeing the mic,  but not the  Studio One software.  I fiddled and fiddled and finally   I gave up.  This was back in August. 

So today, I tried an idea.  I plugged both units - separate tests -  (Presonus  and Focusrite) with  GarageBand (on my MacBook Pro mid 2015) and easily recorded  a little test.   I listened to it played back. No problem.  I left GarageBand because it seemed designed for using MIDI loops and virtual instuments and so on.  Finding answers to simple questions in GarageBand (like recording with 2 mics simultaneously) seemed elusive. 

I think my problem must be pretty simple.  The OS on the Mac  is Monterey 12.6.1.

Do you have Universal Control set up correctly, and the Song Setup menu in Studio One choosing the correct input? It sounds to me like the problem is between the interface and Studio One, which is probably as simply as Studio One not knowing where to find the input.

Here's a link to downloads of the manual and quick start, that might help?

Thanks Craig.  I downloaded the Universal Control, but still unsuccessful.   I spoke to a young guy working at Sam Ash in the recording department.  They often employ students from Full Sail.   I'll probably schedule a lesson or two at the store.  I thought I might take my baritone ukulele....and record a verse and chorus of something like  "Under the Boardwalk"  using multi-tracking  to get me started.

I guess I'm a dinosaur in wanting to only use microphones and line-in.  

5 hours ago, Strays Dave said:

Thanks Craig.  I downloaded the Universal Control, but still unsuccessful.   I spoke to a young guy working at Sam Ash in the recording department.  They often employ students from Full Sail.   I'll probably schedule a lesson or two at the store.  I thought I might take my baritone ukulele....and record a verse and chorus of something like  "Under the Boardwalk"  using multi-tracking  to get me started.

I guess I'm a dinosaur in wanting to only use microphones and line-in.  

Nothing "dinosaur" about using microphones! They will never be obsolete, neither will Line In connections. MIDI is fun too, I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about it but I manage to get sounds and make tracks. Good enough for now. 

I don't have Studio One but I do have a Presonus interface although I haven't been able to use it while my condo is undergoing water damage repair. 

I used Universal Control with that interface and had no problems. I'm pretty good at sussing things out though. Currently I'm using an SSL 2+, it's small, just 2 channels but perfect for my current situation. I am looking forward to getting back home and setting things up again!!!

A lesson or two should be well worth the time and money if it gets you up and running, recording is fun once you get past the basics and start laying down tracks. 
You can do it! 😇

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 10/31/2022 at 6:57 AM, Strays Dave said:

I'll probably schedule a lesson or two at the store. 

I think you may experience one of those "Doh! It didn't occur to me it could be that simple!" moments, and then you'll be on your way.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My solution to Studio One not seeing/hearing my microphone  turned out to be:

System Preferences/Security & Privileges / Privacy / Microphone .................then a check mark for "Studio One" .  There were already check marks for GarageBand  and Universal Control.    The support tech said Apple tends to be pretty stringent. 

My solution ended up being an online support company called Obedia (rhymes with "media" ). I paid $60 for 60 minutes of support - a phone call along with remote desktop software.  The problem with solved within 15 minutes and I had 5 more minutes left to ask a couple of questions.  I was happy to pay,  just to get past my roadblock.   I still have 40 minutes left in support time - the shortest support session is 20 minutes.  If not used within 90 days,  they will expire. 

As always, thanks for any input from you guys.  I'm happy with the Presonus ecosystem, especially all the YouTube tutorials. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Strays Dave said:

My solution to Studio One not seeing/hearing my microphone  turned out to be:

System Preferences/Security & Privileges / Privacy / Microphone .................then a check mark for "Studio One" .  There were already check marks for GarageBand  and Universal Control.    The support tech said Apple tends to be pretty stringent. 

My solution ended up being an online support company called Obedia (rhymes with "media" ). I paid $60 for 60 minutes of support - a phone call along with remote desktop software.  The problem with solved within 15 minutes and I had 5 more minutes left to ask a couple of questions.  I was happy to pay,  just to get past my roadblock.   I still have 40 minutes left in support time - the shortest support session is 20 minutes.  If not used within 90 days,  they will expire. 

As always, thanks for any input from you guys.  I'm happy with the Presonus ecosystem, especially all the YouTube tutorials. 

Glad you are up and running!

As always, it's different with different DAWs. With Waveform I have to go to the Settings Tab, click Audio Devices and then set the Output and Input. There's a test button for the output. Then my recording interface will work. I was puzzled for a bit and then I found it. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

50 minutes ago, Strays Dave said:

Obedia has been my go-to for intractible problems, and they've always come through.

BTW don't know if you're aware of it, but I post a new tip on the PreSonus blog every Friday. I've also done a 600+ page eBook (with several presets) on tips and tricks for Studio One.