Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Allen Collins Flying V

Ivan May

image.png.a6122814168acead4e557198a8312df0.png

Known as the rhythm guitarist for Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1973 until 1977, Allen Collins played this Gibson Flying V during the groups early years. It was sadly stolen after their first tour, along with several other guitars that he and Gary Rossington used during their early years. As far as I know it has never been recovered, but what I would like to know more about is when was this Flying V manufactured? Given that this Flying V has the smaller Gibson logo on the truss rod, it would have to be from 1967 or later.  Most 1958 and 1959 Flying Vs have the Gibson logo on the headstock. But if anyone has info on Collins' Flying V please post below.

As far as I know the Gibson Explorer and Gibson Firebird that Allen played were both returned to his family in 1990. The Firebird was auctioned off around 2014 whereas I believe the Explorer was also auctioned off. I believe his children still own his Stratocaster, his Strat with a Tele neck on it, and most of the Guild guitars he played in the 80s with Rossington Collins Band. Allen was a great player, and it is very sad how his life did not last eventfully.  When the Lynyrd Skynyrd plance crash happened in 1977, Allen nearly had an arm amputated and had to relearn the guitar as a result.

It is a very sad story as to what happened with Allen. Apparently he was critically injured in 1986, and a female passenger he was riding with were killed when his Ford Thunderbird skidded off the road and landed into a ditch. Allen was severely paralyzed, which forced him in a wheelchair, and as a result left him unable to play guitar, which also left him unable to take part in Lynyrd Skynyrd's reunion tour in 1987. Collins died from his injuries in 1990, but he was a great guitarist.

As for Lynyrd Skynyrd, they are close to having no original members left. They will be retiring from the road soon, and most notably Gary Rossington is now in his 70's and has a huge history of heart attacks. I'm glad he's recovered. 

• Like 2