Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic guitar

hama996

If possible, play the exact guitar you are interested in. If it makes you smile and the price is reasonable then buy it. 

I have an Epiphone acoustic but I don't remember the model number. It was used on craigslist and the seller wanted $160. 

I thought that was a bit high so I kept an eye on it and a week later it was $100 so I bought it. Solid spruce top, sounds nice. 

What ever you get, if possible have a guitar tech check it out and advise regarding setting it up to your preference. 

Some guitars are nicely set up at the factory, others might need some adjustment to play the way you like.

For me, acoustic guitar has been an important part of my playing. Much harder to "fake it" on an acoustic guitar, you have to play it or nothing happens. 

Good luck and welcome to Music Player Network!!!!

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Welcome aboard hama996!  I like Epiphone if you're buying on-line, as they offer some good playing guitars at a reasonable price.  But +1, try them all out.  I would pick the one that feels best in your hands starting out...😎

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

Welcome to the Guitar Forum, hama996. Among the guitars that you list, I see that the Yamaha FG820 has a solid top; the Epiphone DR-100 does not- it has a laminate, or plywood, top.

Yamaha guitars are generally regarded for their quality and consistency. Among those that you listed above, the Yamaha FG820 would be my choice.

KuruPrionz makes some very good points above, such as recommending that you try some guitars, and also consider a used guitar of good quality. (And please, if you do find one that you like in a store, buy that one, instead of leaving and ordering one like it online from someone else; besides, they may differ.)

Larryz is correct about Epiphone guitars in general, but as I noted, that particular DR-100 model has a laminate top, not solid.

Good luck! Come back and tell us how your guitar hunt goes- keep us posted!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I own three acoustic guitars:  a Yamaha, an Epiphone, and an Alvarez.  In my very biased opinion, I would recommend either the Epiphone or the Yamaha out of the ones you list.  I'm sure the other three are good guitars, but my experience is that Epiphones and Yamahas are really tough to beat for the price you pay.

• Like 3
I rock; therefore, I am.

Caevan is right in general when you're looking for a guitar based upon the best materials. A solid top always gets the nod over a laminate (I prefer cedar).  However, the Epiphone goes for $169 and the Yamaha goes for $289.  You can expect some tradeoffs when comparing guitars in different price ranges and can expect better materials when you are paying a lot more.  I would still go with the one that feels best in your hands and is easy to play regardless of top material when you're in the $169 price range. 😎

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

Too many great brands out there now. You haven't named a budget ceiling. If you are a novice, you cannot go wrong with a used Yamaha. They are built more sturdily than almost any brand in their respective price points. Don't be afraid to go used so long as you have a guitar savvy person along with you. Of the ones you listed, I concur with my buddy Caev.

• Like 3
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

• 2 weeks later...

I used three acoustic guitars:  a Yamaha, an Epiphone, and an Alvarez.  In my opinion, I would recommend either the Epiphone or the Yamaha out of the ones you list.  I'm sure the other three are good guitars, but my experience is that Epiphones and Yamahas are really tough to beat for the price you pay.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Emiiliaa said:

I used three acoustic guitars:  a Yamaha, an Epiphone, and an Alvarez.  In my opinion, I would recommend either the Epiphone or the Yamaha out of the ones you list.  I'm sure the other three are good guitars, but my experience is that Epiphones and Yamahas are really tough to beat for the price you pay.

Hmmm, with the exception of one word, this looks awfully familiar.  Now, where have I seen this before?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
I rock; therefore, I am.

On 9/22/2022 at 10:31 PM, Sharkman said:

I own* three acoustic guitars:  a Yamaha, an Epiphone, and an Alvarez.  In my very biased opinion, I would recommend either the Epiphone or the Yamaha out of the ones you list.  I'm sure the other three are good guitars, but my experience is that Epiphones and Yamahas are really tough to beat for the price you pay.

On 10/13/2022 at 6:29 AM, Emiiliaa said:

I used*three acoustic guitars:  a Yamaha, an Epiphone, and an Alvarez.  In my opinion, I would recommend either the Epiphone or the Yamaha out of the ones you list.  I'm sure the other three are good guitars, but my experience is that Epiphones and Yamahas are really tough to beat for the price you pay.

10 hours ago, Sharkman said:

Hmmm, with the exception of one word*, this looks awfully familiar.  Now, where have I seen this before?

Hmmm... That is a puzzler, indeed. 

Which posits and queries, 

Sharkman- why have you been copying Emiiliaa's posts before they can even be posted?!

Are you just cavalierly flaunting your Time-Travel prowess??

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

4 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Hmmm... That is a puzzler, indeed. 

Which posits and queries, 

Sharkman- why have you been copying Emiiliaa's posts before they can even be posted?!

Are you just cavalierly flaunting your Time-Travel prowess??

Yeah, I was just having fun with my new Sheldon Cooper time machine. 

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
I rock; therefore, I am.

I have  no opinions on any listed choices.  Every guitar is different and will change over time as the guitar opens up.  The only thing I know is I like to take a friend if shopping for acoustic guitars unless I know and trust someone at the store. You of course want to play the guitars for feel. But you want someone else to play the guitars so you can hear the guitar. The player can’t really hear the guitar. 

• Like 2

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt