Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played some Nords recently...(extended commentary)

4 minutes ago, cphollis said:

Here's the big one -- identical samples sound maybe 10% better when played through the NP5 vs the NS3C

It could be the velocity mapping of the hammer action vs. the semi-weighted. It would be interesting to use MIDI to play the NS3C from the NP5 keys, and see if you get that same improvement. Of course, in real world application, it's kind of moot, if you can't make the NS3C sound as good without bringing another keyboard. ;-) But I suspect that the velocity mapping of the NS3C is specifically optimized to maximize playability and dynamic control from that semi-weighted action, and so there may have been compromises they had to make to achieve that goal, which didn't come into play when velocity-mapping the hammer action model.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

52 minutes ago, Al Quinn said:

I’ll take a C to C please. I’d gladly give up the top three notes on my YC73 to get three more notes on the bottom end. I especially miss the low Eb and D. Like Scott said C as a top note is ideal when playing organ.

When splitting the YC73 I find that low E is an awkward lowest note. I guess is has to do with how I voice chords that causes me to want a low Eb, D, and Db. I talking about a split where the lower half is shifted up an octave or two for playing chords. An example would be B3 on the left and AP on the right. Not having those notes sometimes forces me to move the split point an octave higher than I’d like.

Same. I wish my E to E NS3C were C to shining C instead. While I do occasionally miss a couple of notes higher than E during a synth solo, it's not as often as I have to adjust in real time to a single note up high(er) instead of the voicing or octave my ear wanted. I'm not as quick on the octave shift as some, I guess. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

34 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

It would be interesting to use MIDI to play the NS3C from the NP5 keys, and see if you get that same improvement. 

Aren't the  NP5 and NG a Triple Sensor  vs the rest of the Nords so wouldn't that make a lot of the difference.     I hear the placement of the sensors on the NG is different from the NP 5. 

57 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

It could be the velocity mapping of the hammer action vs. the semi-weighted. It would be interesting to use MIDI to play the NS3C from the NP5 keys, and see if you get that same improvement. Of course, in real world application, it's kind of moot, if you can't make the NS3C sound as good without bringing another keyboard. 😉 But I suspect that the velocity mapping of the NS3C is specifically optimized to maximize playability and dynamic control from that semi-weighted action, and so there may have been compromises they had to make to achieve that goal, which didn't come into play when velocity-mapping the hammer action model.

Yes, there are subtle differences in the velocity mappings for APs and EPs, nothing dramatic.  My previous config was triggering AP and EP samples from the NP5 via midi.  I went back and forth a few times, and the difference was unmistakable through an identical signal path.  In particular, the single-layer samples now pop nicely on the NP5 vs N3C.  As a result, I'm going through Nord's sample library and finding more usable there than I did on the NS3C.  Just a heads up!

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

5 hours ago, Docbop said:

Aren't the  NP5 and NG a Triple Sensor  vs the rest of the Nords so wouldn't that make a lot of the difference.     I hear the placement of the sensors on the NG is different from the NP 5. 

The third sensor only changes how high you have to raise the key before you can restrike it. It does not change the tone.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I get that Nords are pricey and the actions and sounds are not to everyone's taste. I'm used to the comments since I run a rig with a Hamond dual manual XK5 on the bottom and an electro 6 HP on the top. Heaven knows here both Hammonds and Nords take their fair share of knocks. Either you like it or not and some of the criticism of both instruments is valid.  Two points, though, that have not been discussed.  First, build quality.  Say what you will, Nords are built like tanks.  I bought an electro 2 about the time they first came out. I did it because I was getting tired of relacing the 'wall wart' power supply all the time on the Kurzweil I had. Also I liked the clav that the electro had. Long story short....I ran that thing all over the place. It rolled in cold trucks, played in direct sun and bounced around a lot. If even got dropped twice.   In the 10 plus years I had it it never needed service. Seldom ran into a board like that. The experience  sent me toward Nord when I wanted to upgrade. Like many here, I like a piano to feel like one. Muscle memory or something but the Hammer Piano action, while certainly not perfect, gets that done for me.  The Nord Grand is a whole different thing.  Try it.  The second thing is the odd nature of the piano sample.   iI has been discussed here and on some forums, but the Nord pianos always seem to sound better at a distance, Have no idea why but it keeps happening that someone in the audience will come up and remark on how much they like the piano sounds.  This even used to happen with my Electro 2. I always thought the acoustic piano sounds were the weakest part, but really didn't mind because I bought it for the EPs and, as I said, the clav. Anyway,  if you are testing Nords out for possible purchase, try to go with a keyboard playing friend and go listen to it at a distance.  Might be surprised. My 2 cents.

• Like 4