Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Credit card CD blanks, regular CD blanks

Do you think using credit card shape CD blanks is a good idea for demo's to solicit gigs?

Someone mentioned that the recipient might not know what to do with it unless it looks like a CD. If you TELL them it's a CD...

Except... a bar owner, he might take it to his car and I don't know, I guess they wouldn't fit in car CD players.

Or the round ones that are small. Problem is, the only reason for doing this... is I can carry one of these credit card shaped ones in a shirt pocket. You can't put a full CD in your pocket. I've also heard songwriters say "Always, always, ALWAYS have a demo with you." In case you run into Mr. Publisher or somebody. How could you always have a demo with you unless you have something like this.

As for regular CD blanks, for buying at office stores or BestBuy, etc., what is good quality brand?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I HIGHLY recommend against using smaller CD media for audio demos on a regular basis. Why? Because people simply do not know that if you try to pop one of these into a slot loader, it could easily get stuck by simply falling in. There's nothing like trying to get one of those out of a car CD player.

I do recommend, however, having a few of them in your wallet, and just be sure to point out that it needs to be heard in a tray loader. Don't put it in your wallet if you keep it in your back pocket though.

"For instance" is not proof.

The credit card shape blanks, what kind of player wwould they NOT work in?
My own ignorance just reinforced my post. For the most part the bar folks we deal with are pretty clueless about gear and/or audio. Only a few of them are audiophiles who would know that a card sized CD plays in the same player as a regular one.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

I do recommend, however, having a few of them in your wallet, and just be sure to point out that it needs to be heard in a tray loader. Don't put it in your wallet if you keep it in your back pocket though.

Where else do you keep a wallet? I can't imagine anywhere except back pocket.

It's also an issue of the recipient. If you meet someone somewhere and hand them a big CD, how are THEY gonna get home with it. It's a shame the credit card size ones are problematic.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

If you use them you have to be obvious about what they are. Use some fine print on the label explaining the playback requirements if you have to. Even the people that ask me to put their data on miniCDs aren't sure what they are good for - they treat them like a gimmick.

For my own promo I made the mistake of designing a 5x7 card with an image of a computer tower with the tray extended. It was sized so the biz card CD pouch could be mounted to scale on the tray (low tack adhesive gum). Several people would stare at the whole package, put it down and never clue in there was a CD there.

It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

I don't know, maybe it was the cdrom but I've had some issues with those mini CDs.

I think the premise is great and would use them if hadn't had the problems with them locking the player up.

Now, that has been a couple of years and the player was older so...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Archived