Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Greg Lake's Rickenbacker

Whilst he is more well known for playing a Fender Jazz Bass, an Alembic Scorpion 8 string and a Gibson Ripper Bass than any other bass in his tenure, Greg Lake also played a Rickenbacker 4001 in Jetglo (black) finish.

image.png.d09bf2b06d813b774dcf4a3d7c072192.pngimage.png.15eef5b81974482e69aa6c3b71aaf002.pngimage.png.0787511c85c49e9408a2e297091b9f23.png

This Rickenbacker was never used much on any recordings, though Greg used it for a better part of the Trilogy tour in 1972, as well as on the Brain Salad Surgery/Welcome Back My Friends tours in 1973 and 1974. The funny thing is, the Rickenbacker 4001 that Greg Lake has is altered, and the pickguard is the same as the AWFUL pickguard that was featured on late Seventies Rickenbacker basses. The neck pickup appears to be the proper pickup for this bass, (Toaster) and the bridge pickup is a mystery. Lake's hand is covering it in both pictures!!! Also, there is a Gibson bridge cover from what appears to be off an sg, or something, installed for a hand rest while picking. He switched to the Jazz because he found the Rick too difficult to play because the neck "actually moved four inches in either direction."

This bass, along with many of the other instruments and other ELP paraphernalia, were auctioned off shortly after Greg Lake passed in 2016.

Does anyone, like, have some sorta information on the date of manufacture of Greg Lake's Rickenbacker, or what the serial number of this Ric is?

If anyone has info please let me know. I have always been interested in Greg Lake's guitar collection! I heard he owned close to 300 guitars!

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic