Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audient EVO16 Audio Interface Review

So my TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48 finally needed replaced. I've been spoiled by the features of this interface so finding a worthy replacement hasn't been easy. I moved up to the Monterey OS now and that was the final thing that bricked the TC Electronic Konnekt 48.

My needs have been this:

• Lots of line inputs for numerous keyboards
  • A minimum of 2 front panel mic inputs
  • Ideally ADAT I/O (for expansion or for continuing to utilizing my TC Konnekt 48 - more on that later)

What I wanted:

• Monitor volume remote control - I've been spoiled by the remote on the TC

What I looked at - 

Probably my first choice was the Presonus Quantum 26x32.  This is a great interface. I know friends that have it, the performance is amazing, I know it sounds great too. Price was a little high for my budget. I was also concerned about Thunderbolt only (for occasional older laptop use) as opposed to USB. I also looked at a Behringer UMC1820. Hard to ignore the price - reviews are quite good. Reliability with Monterey was unclear. 

Then I found the Audient EVO16. 

Price was better than alright given the features. In terms of I/O it checked all the boxes and all the reviews I read of their other interfaces were stellar. There were a couple of features that were very attractive, specifically the internal routing / mixer. The overall design of the product looked stellar too. The UI is very slick so I decided to give it a shot. 

Evo-16-Back-Ortho-Tight-Crop-1536x192.thumb.png.6a76151cac5324a3918e96bcfee3cef6.pngEVO16-Top-Image-With-Awards@0.thumb.png.02c7a9e97f355ce4eabb7d2697b05dae.png

Installation was a breeze. I was up and running right away on Mac OS 12.5.  The EVO16 does have software that can help you configure stereo pairing and more. Phantom is selectable per channel. Monitor mixing per channel. All of these things can be done from the front panel interface but Here is a look at the analog input section in software:

195641370_EVO16Mixer.thumb.png.041b8849786285211ba18deb3f2b9ee3.png

One of the "I'm sold' features for me is the routing section. 

The allowed me to take the main mix from the Audient and route it digitally to my TC Studio Konnekt 48. Why would I want to do that? Well for 10 years I've had a monitor volume level just in reach to my right. Reaching across my desk to adjust listening level isn't a big deal but as long as my TC works stand-alone, I'd like to continue to have this luxury. 

Routing.thumb.png.02c764879cb57546acd31bd9eea6b7e4.png

I'll talk about sound, performance and some of the other unique features of this EVO16 in part 2. Let me know if you have any questions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

In the Trim settings on the software, is DM Direct Monitoring? As in, coming from the input?

Is ALT round trip?

Or is this handled on the interface, or not a feature?

I had a Steinberg UR22 MK II that had a Mix knob that allowed you to blend the amount of direct input audio with round trip audio, it's a sneaky but effective way of "eliminating" latency. 

My SSL 2+ calls the same feature Monitor Mix. 

It's a useful tool, I like it. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

@KuruPrionz

This video thoroughly covers the monitoring options and more.  Trim settings are also on the software.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

14 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Thanks Sir Mike, somewhere after 3:00 and before 3:25 they cover the question I had. 

It is a useful feature, one that every interface should have but many do not. 

The flexibility here is what is great. As an example, a common setup for me for doing webinars is to direct monitor the keyboard, but have the direct monitor off for my own microphone. I don't want to hear myself talk LOL.  

-Mike Martin

Casio

Nice, we all have our reasons for the gear we latch onto. I tend towards simple at this point but you've used the features on the Audient to good benefit. 

I've got a Presonus Quantum TB2 at home, once the water damage in my condo is repaired I'll be working with that. 

It is also 8 channels with the 2 in the front capable of mic/line/high impedance. It has a software mixer and is capable of daisy chaining 2 more units for 24 channels. I don't need or use all that. 

I just like being able to set up channels for various instruments so I don't have to fuss about when recording. 

I recently replaced a Steinberg UR22 MkII with an SSL 2+. I like the SSL because no software is needed (or even exists) for hooking it up to a Mac - USB class compliant. Plug it in, set it up once in Sound Preferences and the DAW, done. It has the low/zero latency mix knob and 2 headphone outs (a luxury for a 2 input interface). And it sounds great. All I need for a more or less mobile studio. 

I like this Audient, by the time I want/need a new interface there will be all sorts of them and better than ever. We are so lucky to have these tools!!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.