Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sire guitars

1 hour ago, Radagast said:

I searched here any threads about Sire guitars and didn’t find any.  Has anyone bought or played one?

Hm, I don't believe that had never even heard of Sire guitars before...

I think that the brand must be pretty new? Or, at least, pretty new here...

The Sire brand, from Indonesia as far as I can tell, was officially welcomed in a big announcement and introduction by Sweetwater Sound on Jun 8, 2021, 6:25 PM. 

They sure look and read-up to be well made, very good quality axes and heavy-hitter endorsers! Primarily Fender, Gibson, and Ibanez copies, or at least picking up there... I'm guessing, 'high-end of budget guitars' quality would describe them. Probably a competitor in their price-point range, but no replacement for 'real' higher-end Gibson, Fender, Ibanez PRS, Ernie Ball/MM, etc. etc. etc.; no more than, say, Epiphione or Squier.

Note that their Les Paul copy, the Larry Carlton L7, does not have a maple top- it's a veneer, similar to the Asian-made Epiphone Les Pauls and the like.

It's pretty silly the the Les Paul copy is dubbed an L7, though it's a 6 String; and an obvious, deliberate rip-off that Larry Carlton's name on the headstock bears quite a striking resemblance to the 70-years-old-now trademark "Les Paul" signature script on the headstocks of Gibson Les Paul models... They're practically sticking their tongues out at Gibson...

ydzLNVp.jpg                              KcFl8jU.jpg

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

They sound pretty interesting to me.  Several YouTubers have raved about them. The only quibble I have with the H7 is the shape of the horns.  Even cheap 335 clones have body shapes exactly like a real 335.  So I imagine there isn’t a trademark issue.  The horns are close, but still noticeably different. 

it sounds like Sire guitars would rather have back orders than contract with other factories, in order to keep quality up.  In the comments section of one YouTube video, someone claimed to have seen Larry Carlton using a Sire H7 live in concert. That person also claimed Larry was dissatisfied with Gibson’s spotty quality in his signature model.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Radagast said:

They sound pretty interesting to me.  Several YouTubers have raved about them. The only quibble I have with the H7 is the shape of the horns.  Even cheap 335 clones have body shapes exactly like a real 335.  So I imagine there isn’t a trademark issue.  The horns are close, but still noticeably different. 

it sounds like Sire guitars would rather have back orders than contract with other factories, in order to keep quality up.  In the comments section of one YouTube video, someone claimed to have seen Larry Carlton using a Sire H7 live in concert. That person also claimed Larry was dissatisfied with Gibson’s spotty quality in his signature model.

People say all sorts of things, especially about gear they own.

Indonesia is making some great guitars these days. I think it's still important to play the actual guitar you are considering.

FWIW, Sire is probably a name on a headstock, middle-man operation with manufacturing done by Cort or Samick. Small shops can't compete with the big guns, it's not a level playing field. 

If you are going to produce true boutique guitars then there is still some "bling" for it to be done in USA, Germany etc. Bling is only worth so much though, I have a Yamaha electric-acoustic that was made in China and it is completely flawless. It is a fact that in our current marketplace, the large companies have the resources (quality woods for one) pretty well lined up and back-ordered. 

Makes it near impossible for the "little guys" to compete in that market. Something to bear in mind as you do more research. 

I'm not saying don't buy a Sire, just keep an open mind about what is really happening. Major players like Epiphone, Schecter, Alvarez etc. are all jobbing their guitars out, it's how business is done and guitars ARE business to these companies. 

Don't trust the internet (including me!!!), there's enough manure being spread to grow quite a garden. 😬

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

55 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

People say all sorts of things, especially about gear they own.

Indonesia is making some great guitars these days. I think it's still important to play the actual guitar you are considering.

FWIW, Sire is probably a name on a headstock, middle-man operation with manufacturing done by Cort or Samick. Small shops can't compete with the big guns, it's not a level playing field. 

If you are going to produce true boutique guitars then there is still some "bling" for it to be done in USA, Germany etc. Bling is only worth so much though, I have a Yamaha electric-acoustic that was made in China and it is completely flawless. It is a fact that in our current marketplace, the large companies have the resources (quality woods for one) pretty well lined up and back-ordered. 

Makes it near impossible for the "little guys" to compete in that market. Something to bear in mind as you do more research. 

I'm not saying don't buy a Sire, just keep an open mind about what is really happening. Major players like Epiphone, Schecter, Alvarez etc. are all jobbing their guitars out, it's how business is done and guitars ARE business to these companies. 

Don't trust the internet (including me!!!), there's enough manure being spread to grow quite a garden. 😬

According to YouTuber Darrell Braun, who does guitar reviews, Sire has their own factory and refuses to farm out their guitar manufacturing to other companies like Cort and Samick.  The guy who started Sire guitars is in South Korea.  I think their factory is there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

What amazes me is that in the comments everyone agrees with what ever the reviewer says. If it's good the Parrots good, bad they say bad. 

I'm not talking about legitimate reviewers, Premier Guitar, etc.    

• Like 6

Jennifer S.

Larry is actually playing these...

and Korean-built guitars are way beyond respectable, quality-wise, IME... Duesenberg guitars are "assembled in Germany from woodworking done in South Korea," and look at those pricetags.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Radagast said:

According to YouTuber Darrell Braun, who does guitar reviews, Sire has their own factory and refuses to farm out their guitar manufacturing to other companies like Cort and Samick.  The guy who started Sire guitars is in South Korea.  I think their factory is there.

I don't know who Darrell is s I won't comment. 

Korea has made excellent guitars for many years. 

Again, play the one you're thinking of buying before purchasing. No matter who they are, no guitar company is going get an endorsement from Larry Carlton by giving him a less than optimal guitar. That doesn't mean that everybody gets the same thing, if you play it and like it, then it's good. 

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 1 month later...

I know 2 players who own them, one an L7(LP style), the other is a bass inspired by Fender. They are both older guys with numerous instruments from all the holy grail brands, and both prefer the Sire as their main player. Touches like ebony boards and rolled edges are costly upgrades from most builders. The build quality is excellent and they play and sound great. I feel they can hold their own against US models several times the price. I love my US guitars and they are keepers, but if i felt I needed another Gibson or Fender inspired axe, these would be my first choice.

• Like 4
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

11 hours ago, Bluesape said:

I know 2 players who own them, one an L7(LP style), the other is a bass inspired by Fender. They are both older guys with numerous instruments from all the holy grail brands, and both prefer the Sire as their main player. Touches like ebony boards and rolled edges are costly upgrades from most builders. The build quality is excellent and they play and sound great. I feel they can hold their own against US models several times the price. I love my US guitars and they are keepers, but if I felt I needed another Gibson or Fender inspired axe, these would be my first choice.

Now, THAT'S a review and a positive endorsement that I can trust! Particularly in these days of paid "Influencers", fake reviews, and even out-and-out frauds and scams. Good to know! That's encouraging, I'd be a lot more likely now to consider a Sire, even though I'd preveiously never heard of them, let alone seen or played any...

On 8/10/2022 at 5:04 PM, Radagast said:

To all of you with a negative attitude, don’t change.  Sire guitars are backordered, so the less competition from other buyers, the better it is for me.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:23 PM, Radagast said:

I’ve also seen good reviews for the EART E-335.   Don’t buy that one either.  I wouldn’t want there to be a shortage of that guitar also.

Negative attitude? People here were just kicking the ball around about a brand they'd never even heard of and giving straight, honest thoughts, and just being cautious, considering the floods of paid "Influencers", fake reviews, frauds, scams...  I myself DID say, "They sure look and read-up to be well made, very good quality axes and heavy-hitter endorsers! Primarily Fender, Gibson, and Ibanez copies, or at least picking up there... "

Short of having had any Sire instruments in their hands before, what else could anyone here have said above? Did you expect cheerleaders doing handstands? If I'd wanted to hear a "wah", I would have stepped on a pedal...

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/7/2023 at 6:10 PM, David St. Hubbins said:

I played an H7 today at Guitar Center.  I'm hooked.  My 335 is worth about $7,000, and it is staying in the case for the foreseeable future!

Welcome to the Guitar ForumDavid St. Hubbins! Glad you got a good guitar there and that you like it.

Thanks for your first post. Stick around! Chime in on other threads! Tell us what other guitars, amp(s), any pedals, etc. that you use and like; and what styles of music you like to play!

• Like 3

@David St. Hubbinsthe H7 looks like a nice guitar, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I'm going to check if the GC in Pearl City has Sires in stock. I'd like to see how the S3 compares to the Squier Classic Vibe and the S7 to a used Fender Player series, they are about the same price.

I'm not planning on purchasing another guitar, I'd just like to see how they compare. 

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

9 hours ago, p90jr said:

St. Hubbins... the patron Saint of quality footwear

CyBFcHQ.jpg

• Like 2