Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Experiences with small (1x1) class-compliant midi interfaces, anybody?

Reezekeys

I'm in the market for one. Not looking for anyone to do research for me - I see a few out there already, but the comments are a mixed bag. Anyone here with one they've been using a while with no issues (like dropped or delayed notes, inability to pass busy data streams, sysex, etc.)? I've only had experience with the no-name $8 Chinese guy that went into the trash 5 minutes after it came out of the shipping envelope. Also, at a friend's house with one that wouldn't pass sysex (I think that was the M-Audio UNO, could be wrong though).

My road A800 connects with USB to my iPad with the CCK, works just fine. Unfortunately my home A800's USB port doesn't pass data anymore (why I got my second one!), so I have to use 5-pin midi. I'd like to not have to drag my road A800 into the house when I want to work on my iPad setup, hence the need for a small class-compliant interface. No issues using 5-pin midi with my computer setup as I have an old MOTU Fastlane, but that's not class compliant so won't work with the iPad.

1x1 and as portable as can be would be swell. Thanks in advance for any tips!

I've had no issues with the Roland UM-One, it's the older one, but I assume the current one is fine, too. I'd probably most trust that one or the iConnectivity mioXC.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks, the UM-One is what I'm leaning to, if only because it's a brand name I somewhat know! It's interesting that at the low end, these midi interfaces are more expensive than audio interfaces. There is a UM-One "MKII" where it appears they've added class-compliance.

• Like 1

I looked at that iConnectivity model and liked what I saw, if their claims of it being custom-engineered with its own processor are true (rather than what I would assume are the basic off-the-shelf design & construction of the no-name Chinese "brands"). I got their previous model, the USB-A mio, since nothing I have uses USB-C and I don't want to chance using an adapter on a gig, if I ever needed to gig with it using a keyboard with only 5-pin midi. It was about $15 less than the Roland too. Thank you Scott, I had missed this one!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

There is a UM-One "MKII" where it appears they've added class-compliance.

I have the older one, it appears to be class compliant as well. I've used it numerous times on an iPad with no issues.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)