Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arrangement/Production Instructions and Tutorials You Found Helpful?

There has never been a shortage of instructions/tutorials on individual instruments. But materials on modern pop music arrangement/production, like the excellent YT video above, have been scarce.

Besides the good ole approach of transcribing what we like, what are some of your favorite techniques and sources of studying arrangements/production (besides mixing/mastering)? Thanks.

My best suggestion by far is to head on over to Metapop.com, join and compete. 

They have competitions for re-mixes and production ALL the time. The prizes are good too so there is lots of competition. 

You can submit your mix for feedback on their forum. You will hear all sorts of opinions, all of them wrong (lol) 😇.

Fire up your DAW, drop their tracks in and get to work!!!!! 

I did about 20 re-mixes and learned a ton of cool stuff. Made a nice pile of disasters too, those are the best teachers. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

3 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

My best suggestion by far is to head on over to Metapop.com, join and compete. 

They have competitions for re-mixes and production ALL the time. The prizes are good too so there is lots of competition. 

You can submit your mix for feedback on their forum. You will hear all sorts of opinions, all of them wrong (lol) 😇.

Fire up your DAW, drop their tracks in and get to work!!!!! 

I did about 20 re-mixes and learned a ton of cool stuff. Made a nice pile of disasters too, those are the best teachers. 

That sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the tip, KuruPrionz.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AROIOS said:

That sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the tip, KuruPrionz.

It IS fun, the best part is that these pieces are not your creations and they are not from your clients so you are completely free to do whatever you want. 

I did experiments in pitch shifting, making chords from a single note, parallel processing (I made 67 tracks on that one), chopping things up and putting them back together, ditching any and every extra part to get to the essence of the piece, etc. Choose a piece, choose a technique and explore. 

In the end you'll know your DAW better, have a better grasp on mixing and producing and a variety of techniques you can implement in your own work. I can't think of a downside, I even had fun working on projects that I did not like at all. 😇

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.