Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lost Ark of Midi/USB hub

Seconds before purchasing a iConnectivity mioXL I realized the USB connection to PC is in front of the rack (which completely destroys my cable management...)

Any other options to concentrate all MIDI and Synth's USB in a rack form?

tks!

That's odd, my midi4+ is on the back (which apparently has been discontinued). 

The MOTUs only have DIN from what I remember.  Iconnect is the only way I know of that uses these hybrid ones.  

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

L-shaped cables on the front to keep them low profile?
Mount the mio in the back of the rack? (I know it's nice to have the flashy lights on the front 😉 )

At home, my racked up MIDI4+ interface I use for gigs has my studio Mac and iPad plugged in in the front for programming purposes (easier with the Mac mini and big screens, than the laptop), and the laptop goes in the back socket, with the cables I need in the outside world, coming out in a snaky thing. 

That one huge selling point of iConnectivity stuff - as an interface for many hosts at once! And, it's built really well. (Just hate the software - I may have mentioned that before, although, it's getting better!)

On 7/29/2022 at 2:14 PM, Adam Burgess said:

L-shaped cables on the front to keep them low profile?
Mount the mio in the back of the rack? (I know it's nice to have the flashy lights on the front 😉 )

At home, my racked up MIDI4+ interface I use for gigs has my studio Mac and iPad plugged in in the front for programming purposes (easier with the Mac mini and big screens, than the laptop), and the laptop goes in the back socket, with the cables I need in the outside world, coming out in a snaky thing. 

That one huge selling point of iConnectivity stuff - as an interface for many hosts at once! And, it's built really well. (Just hate the software - I may have mentioned that before, although, it's getting better!)

good idea, Ill definitely get the mio... cant find anything capable of providing the same possibilities. 

On 7/27/2022 at 5:28 PM, dalpozlead said:

Seconds before purchasing a iConnectivity mioXL I realized the USB connection to PC is in front of the rack (which completely destroys my cable management...)

Any other options to concentrate all MIDI and Synth's USB in a rack form?

tks!

The USB "to host" connector on the frontpanel is just only for rtpMIDI driver installation and configuration of the interface via desktop/laptop and iConnectivity´s Auracle software.

In MacOS you might want to use the IAC MIDI driver which is already built in since OS-X 10.4 Tiger IIRC.

For the daily work, you connect the MioXL to a network switch and your router via network cable and the RJ45 connector on the back, then use MIDI over LAN.

You´re able to connect as many computers as you want to the network switch and all will be managed via the interface´s configuration.

The MIDI ports appear in your DAW software apps then.

For the keys and controllers using USB for MIDI, you get 4 USB2 ports on the frontpanel and 6 on the back and in addition to the 8 MIDI-Ins and 12 MIDI-Outs.

The MioXL is a 10 port USB hub already !

I was about grabbing a Mio10 (MioXL forerunner model) last week and already learned all about it,- but unfortunately I didn´t win the auction.

I´m now saving for the XL too.

You might get issues when using the usually notorious buggy iConnectivity configuration software.

OTOH, there is no other MIDI interface on par,- even less when you want network MIDI.

☺️

A.C.

3 hours ago, Al Coda said:

The USB "to host" connector on the frontpanel is just only for rtpMIDI driver installation and configuration of the interface via desktop/laptop and iConnectivity´s Auracle software.

In MacOS you might want to use the IAC MIDI driver which is already built in since OS-X 10.4 Tiger IIRC.

For the daily work, you connect the MioXL to a network switch and your router via network cable and the RJ45 connector on the back, then use MIDI over LAN.

You´re able to connect as many computers as you want to the network switch and all will be managed via the interface´s configuration.

The MIDI ports appear in your DAW software apps then.

For the keys and controllers using USB for MIDI, you get 4 USB2 ports on the frontpanel and 6 on the back and in addition to the 8 MIDI-Ins and 12 MIDI-Outs.

The MioXL is a 10 port USB hub already !

I was about grabbing a Mio10 (MioXL forerunner model) last week and already learned all about it,- but unfortunately I didn´t win the auction.

I´m now saving for the XL too.

You might get issues when using the usually notorious buggy iConnectivity configuration software.

OTOH, there is no other MIDI interface on par,- even less when you want network MIDI.

☺️

A.C.

superb! I'll go shopping!

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, dalpozlead said:

now I wonder if the RTP-MIDI will work if I connect directly into the Ethernet connection on my PC (my router is far far away...)... anyone experienced?

No, I didn´t.

How far away is your router ?

You can use 1 long ethernet cable connecting the router to a ethernet switch nearby your gear, then connect all the devices using ethernet connection for Midi to the switch.

I understood, editing the mio XL´s MIDI configuration using the app requires a/ the computer being connected via USB,- but I´m not sure.

I don´t see any advantage of RTP-Midi when connecting only a single computer via ethernet to the interface.

☺️

A.C.

The Auracle app for configuring the MioXL and MioXM devices can access the device over an Ethernet connection. With that access, you are able to perform all configuration tasks with the exception of updating the firmware (that requires a USB connection).

• Like 1

An acoustically decent home studio full of hand-picked gear that I love to play and record with!

2 hours ago, DovJ said:

The Auracle app for configuring the MioXL and MioXM devices can access the device over an Ethernet connection. With that access, you are able to perform all configuration tasks with the exception of updating the firmware (that requires a USB connection).

Great,- good to know !

thx for info,-

☺️

A.C.

On 9/2/2022 at 10:54 AM, Al Coda said:

I can imagine connecting host computer and MIDI interface directly via ethernet might work.

Just try it and report back please.

☺️

A.C.

SOLVED! it was a defective ethernet cable.... BTW, SUPERB customer assistance from iConnectivity!!! Couldn't recommend more!

• Like 1