Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm back to playing a Strat ... sort of.

CEB

I used to play Strats in the 80s and before I have a 71, a 78 and I had a red Japanese Fender that was stolen in 87.   But in the early 90s I started playing Teles.

I got my old 78 out of mothballs and I really like it.  The EMGs are really loud but very clear and articulate.  Kind of like my two main Teles.  It works well with the direct modelling stuff we are doing now.    Last show I played the Strat for all but two tunes. 

Of course none of my Vintage guitars are worth anything because they were not vintage when I bought them and back in the day we modded the hell out of everything.  Too bad we didn't know stock guitars would outperform our stock portfolios.

294077156_5666498710035398_5124644718038250852_n.jpg

294351945_5666498560035413_4850325335747059486_n.jpg

294909668_5666498533368749_4831675056023710640_n.jpg

• Like 5

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

1 hour ago, CEB said:

The EMGs are really loud but very clear and articulate.  Kind of like my two main Teles.  It works well with the direct modelling stuff we are doing now.

Which EMG's do you have in that Strat- the SA's? Or... ?

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I don’t know. They date back to the 80s   They aren’t modern metal type pickups I don’t think.  I wanted to try EMGs because Gilmour  used them.   I will have to ask my tech. He worked on it and is an EMG dealer. He said what they are. 

PS. I still don’t sound like Gilmour. 

• Like 3

I just talked to Mark. He says the single coils are two SAs and the humbucker is an  85.   He says the SAs have more mids than Ss.   ( I thought he said SS but after using Google I think he double spoke and meant just S)

What I do know is the tone control really works well and there is no volume drop in positions 2 and 4.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CEB said:

I just talked to Mark. He says the single coils are two SAs and the humbucker is an  85.   He says the SAs have more mids than Ss.   ( I thought he said SS but after using Google I think he double spoke and meant just S)

What I do know is the tone control really works well and there is no volume drop in positions 2 and 4.  

I am a HUGE fan of EMG pickups. FWIW, the Strat pickups with the gold lettering are SA and with the silver lettering they are S. The A stands for Alnico, the S has ceramic magnets. The 85 is a great all rounder and depending on the height adjustment can be similar volume to the SA pickups. 

My main giggers are a booger Strat I built with a thinner Squier body and a fat Warmoth neck that I scalloped. LOVE that neck. And... a Parts-o-Tele with a book matched walnut top on a pine body and a slightly less fat Warmoth neck. The Strat has 2 SA pickups and the SPC mid boost, the Tele has the Alnico Tele pickups with an SPC. 

And, nobody sounds like David Gilmour except David Gilmour. The good part is that I sound just like me and you sound just like you. 

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

20 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

Now this is how a Strat through an AC30 should sound like!

and @KuruPrionz thanks for telling me you saw Rory Gallagher, Fleetwood Mac and Deep Purple in concert. You have good taste in concerts.

Luck really. Fresno has some negative attributes but being in-between LA and San Francisco meant we got lots of great concerts, both from bands centered in those 2 areas and bands on tour would stop in Fresno on their way from LA to SF or vice versa. Fresno had enough population and facilities to support big acts. Among my regrets - I was gigging and didn't get to see Prince or Queen when they came. I failed to see the final Simon and Garfunkel tour with the Everly Brothers opening as well. 

LONG list of great artists I did see though, we can't to everything!!!! Rory remains near the top of my list, he had fantastic chops, great stage presence, tone for days, etc. One of the greats, truly. 

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:37 PM, CEB said:

I love the EMG 85 humbucker and the 85 SA SA combo for a Strat stylee! Add the SPC and EXG and you've got a beautiful, top-notch versatile tone machine. I spent many years with those.

On 7/20/2022 at 8:04 PM, KuruPrionz said:

And, nobody sounds like David Gilmour except David Gilmour. The good part is that I sound just like me and you sound just like you. 

🎇Truth.  :cool: 💖

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _