Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CLAP plugin standard

johnchop

Someone wise noted that "the great thing about standards is that there are so many of them."

VST2, VST3, AAX, RTAS, AU, and now...

CLAP 

This may actually have legs if they can get some additional high-profile devs on board.

• Like 1
I make software noises.

It may very well be the best standard ever created but adoption will be a tough sell.  Where else will you use it but in Bitwig?  

For the developers… do Avid, Apple, Steinberg, etc. charge a fee for development tools? Require licensing fees for commercial releases of AAX, VST, AU?  

…getting “the clap” must not be a thing in German… 🧐

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The STD branding issue did not go unnoticed by the working group!  Someone on KVR suggested CLP.

I don’t think there are fees for VST3 development, but I believe you have to sign an agreement with Steinberg. 

Legal issues aside, the CLAP devs were also frustrated by what they saw as limitations in existing plugin SDKs.

I don’t see Steinberg or Apple adopting.

But if Studio One and Live add support… 👍

I make software noises.