Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Really, how many of you actually listen to ambient?

To head off the usual confusion over definitions, for purposes of this thread, by AMBIENT I mean stuff like:

Robert Rich

Steve Roach

Plastikman

Vidna Obmana

Jeff Greinke

Brian Eno

Michael Stearns

Biosphere

Aphex Twin Ambient works

Constance Demby

I don't mean stuff like:

Vangelis

Tangerine Dream (maybe some exceptions here)

The Orb

Andreas Vollenveider (spelling?)

Enya

downtempo in general or

run of the mill New Age in general.

Stuff that I am forced to include as AMBIENT but I don't particularly like such as:

all the healing, yoga, psuedo and actual meditative flute, acoustic guitar, tinkle piano, recorder stuff (of which there is a LOT)

So who really listens? Someone must be somewhere.....(besides me!)

M Peasley

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to be so old school, but I love "Music for Airports"...I listen to it all the time. Steve Roach is also one of my favorites.

Ambient gives me a brief respite from my normal listening fare (Tool, NIN, Slayer, Allison Krauss).

"For instance" is not proof.

Only ambient I'm familiar with is stuff on iTunes radio, and it's all ad naseum synth-pad based music.

That got old, quick.

I do however have this ambient CD from Germany, "Nostalgia" - it is actually moderate on the pads, but this CD stands out for me, and I really enjoy it.

I just saw Steve Roach live in Palm Springs a few weeks back with percussionist Byron Metcalf, nice stuff. I was suprised at how little synth work he did though because the music/soundworlds get looped and layered in a sort of ambient stew and remixed constantly. He's part musician(synth, abstract guitar,didgeridoo, percussion), part engineer and his stuff wouldn't sound the way it does if he didn't use that approach.

I've listened to this music for years but this was the first live performance I've attended because these types don't play live around L.A./O.C. very often, its more of an east coast thing. I also like some of the Ambient Ping stuff too. I had no idea how prevelent this music was until the internet came along.

steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

I'm reading Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey currently, interesting book. I'll have to check out the "soundtrack" next. ;)

steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

"Only ambient I'm familiar with is stuff on iTunes radio, and it's all ad naseum synth-pad based music"

In my opinion, that's stuff is almost invariably really awful, and gives ambient a bad name.

I create a lot of ambient music (shameless plug for my new CD: http://www.foundrysite.com/hughes/fluidities/ ), but I don't listen to a whole lot of it (cerainly no more than any other type of music). I listen to music mainly in my car, and a lot of ambient stuff doesn't work for me in the car. I know there are a lot of people who listen to _mostly_ ambient music, but I find that I really only like to listen to it in certain situations. That doesn't mean I don't love it when it's good (check out Saul Stokes, Tetsu Inoue, the soundtracks from Traffic and Solaris, and Michael Bentley, for some good examples)

Jonathan

I listen to it, especially Eno, Vidna Obmana, and Aphex Twin. I absolutely love "On Land" by Eno, as well as many of his other things.

Archived