Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Replace Kurzweil PC3 with Kurz Module?

Hi everyone,

I've enjoyed my PC3 for many years, but I never take it out to play because it's so darn heavy and large!  And I usually get by using a Nord Electro 5, so I figure it's time to sell it.   It's just taking up a lot of space and not getting used enough by me.

But I seem to end up playing it fondly (wonderful Rhodes and pianos, amazing orchestral instruments, love the VAST synth) and I wondered if there was something made by Kurzweil I could replace it with that would fit in my room better?  Something lighter and more portable?  

I can't seem to get a grasp on their modules (k2000, K2600 etc...)  Is there something portable that will give me the Kurzweil sounds from the PC3?

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

I think the PC2R with the Orchestral and Classic Keys ROMs will give you most of what you're looking for.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

You might want to consider their newer keyboards. The PC4 has a very nice hammer weighted action, more power/polyphony than PC3, with new larger pianos and EPs, and weighs only 28lbs. The PC4-7 has a semi-weighted action and weighs even less. (PC3x weighs 54 lbs.)

• Like 2

One more cheaper consideration:  The  Micro Ensemble (ME1) is actually pretty decent - has the signature Kurzweil strings, piano, brass and rhodes sounds. 

I often drag mine out of moth balls and control it from a Mojo organ gig to do some simple rhodes/wurli/clav/brass stuff when I don't want to hook up Mainstage or an Ipad. Great for bar gigs. :).    As a former PC2r owner, I can attest it's not quite the same fidelity, and kind of a pain to use from it's 2 digit display.    But if you just need a few of those sounds in compact form might be the ticket.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj_UY9t6EnY

I had a similar situation as you:    Still have a PC1SE (the 76 note version of the PC2R). which you might look for.  Kept it because occasionally still need it for some oldies acts and legacy pit band things I do that are heavily programmed.   Haven't gotten around to recreating those sounds and sets for those shows in Mainstage /Nord.   Even at 76 notes, it's also too heavy, and the (acoustic) pianos are dated.  I'm not playing piano on those -so the Orchestral sounds and EP's surprisingly still hold up and work well. 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Thanks everyone!  A few items to look into, just the kind of info I needed.👍

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!