Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forte - Save ALL error?

Hi, guys - 

I wanna do a system upgrade on my Forte, but when I go to back up my user data, the whole routine looks like it runs fine…but then I get this error message:

C810F931-5672-4DE6-8063-DC1499B0BB4B.jpeg

Same results if I use a thumb drive or connect directly to the Mac.  Directory gets created, file gets created, but 0 bytes of data get written.

Anyone deal with this before?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I know more than I did.  You’d figure saving to the computer is the better way to go - faster more memory, etc.  Nope.  Dave Weiser reports that the virtual memory allotted to the Mac management is too small.

Dave suggested I try another thumb drive.

dB

• Like 1

I'm interested in what you find, as I'm a relatively new owner of a Forte.  I'm pretty sure mine is up to date or at least relatively so, unless something has come out recently.

Too little memory on modern machines reminds me of trying to play really old video games on modern pcs.  You'll get funny messages like "you need 640K of extended memory to play this game".  Just a different architecture I guess.

Same result with a brand new properly formatted thumb drive.  The same routine took over eight hours to run, then reported the same write error/failure. 😡

Kurzweil are like Macs to me - I’ve owned a ton of them, and I don’t think any of the ones I’ve owned haven’t had some sort of technical issues.   How goofy to give me access to a computer save that takes way less time than the thumb drive….but then not allot enough memory so that it actually works. 🤔🙄

dB

Argh.  I've only owned one before this one (a pc3) and it had some problems.  I knew I was taking a risk with this used Forte.  In fact, I'm noticing that the pitch wheel sometimes sends messages if I use the mod wheel--and I know the pitch wheels have had issues in the past.  Causes a brief out of tune behavior that is annoying, and only slowly returns to zero resetting the pitch.  Not the end of the world as I don't use pitch much especially on a weighted action keyboard, so I can turn it off if it gets worse.

Hmm… never had this issue. My only suggestion is to use a smaller USB flash drive. The one I use is a 256GB Kingston and I’ve not had any issues.

It’s possible there’s corruption somewhere. You could always save you most important MULTIS and PROGRAMS individually, wipe everything, and load those back in and see if the full backup function works.

• Like 1

Dave I learned years ago from Kurzweil support about the need to use a USB drive for large backups. Seems counterproductive but I haven’t had any problems with backups since. 

I might suggest making sure the thumb drive is formatted in FAT 32. I thought I read that somewhere ages ago.

Also try performing a partial backup of just a few user objects so you don’t have to wait for hours to determine if the procedure is working. 

Good luck man. The Forte is a killer keyboard but obviously only if it works!

Larry

• Like 1
Kurzweil Forte 7, PC3, PC4, Hydrasynth, Kronos 61, UltraNova, Rhodes, Clavinet D6, MiniMoog, GSI Burn, ELX112Ps, SpaceStation, Assorted Weapons