Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

roland cloud

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the synths are CPU/memory hogs.  I tried it with my main PC (Core i5 9600K with 32GB of RAM and two 1TB M.2 SSD's) and the stuff was virtually unplayable.  Meanwhile, most of the Arturia V-Collection runs great (except for the OB-Xa V, which is also a hog.)

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

You will notice a definite difference in quality of sound between the Roland offerings and those from companies like Cherry Audio or Arturia. Some of the Arturia "remakes/updates" are getting better. Not saying those are bad. I own most of the Cherry Audio collection and they are fun, but load up a machine from the Roland Cloud and you will hear a difference. Zen-Core is a beast in sound, structure and available patches. I just ordered the Roland WC-1 wireless network adapter for my Jupiter Xm. Cost is $100 and it comes with a year of cloud Pro. Not a bad deal. I had pro for a year, let it drop, and last month signed up for Ultimate.  

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Personally, I don’t like subscriptions.   The corporates want us all on subscriptions.   If I was going to snatch something from Roland Cloud - I’d get lifetime license for Jupiter-8, Juno-60/106, maybe SH-01.  The XV-5080 and D-50 look cool.  But you can grab the hardware for those pretty affordable as well and they aren’t that old.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The ACB-based plugins (as found on the System 8 ) are stunningly good, they justify the price alone. You do need a fast computer, though. The Freeze feature in your DAW is your friend. Then there's the ZenCore stuff, the 1:1 clones of the D-50, JV series, it's killer.

In the case of a turkey like Sibelius, where the greedy suits at Avid have done absolutely nothing with it for an entire decade, yeah, subscriptions are a rort.
But Roland Cloud is always being updated, you get a lot of quality stuff for the money, even if it's organised pretty haphazardly 😁.
I'd say it is a reasonable price structure. I'll often turn it on for a few months for a project, then turn it off when I'm not using it, etc - much cheaper than buying the Lifetime Keys.

Aynsley Green Trio - Caravan

Upper: Sequential OB6 or Roland Fantom 06

Lower: Nord Stage 4 Compact or Yamaha YC88

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16