Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chick's Got A Match? - fingering suggestions

timwat

Okay, everyone please keep it from getting juvenile LOL

Been working up the head to Chick's famous Got A Match? Got questions on the head, specifically how to finger measures 9 through 12. It's in the real books, but for reference here's an online PDF I found (which appears to transcribe the opening synth intro on the studio recording, I'm talking about the head which begins at the Signo:

https://www.templateroller.com/template/84468/chick-corea-got-a-match-jazz-sheet-music.html

Thanks so much for any advice on this.

1-3-1-2-3-5 (Em-A)

1-3-1-2-3-5-4-3-2-3 (Fm-Bb-Eb)

1-2-3-1-2-5-4-3-2-1-2-3-5-4-3

1-2-4-5-4-2-1-5-4-2-1-2

Am at car wash so doing this from muscle memory. I’ll double check when I get home

Actually, second line is

1-3-1-2-1-4-3-2-1-2 I think

• Like 1

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I ran into this same problem at the same spot when I was learning it. I actually looked up live videos of Chick to try to see how he fingered it. I was then pissed when I realized he only ever played it on that miki-key keytar, which makes that line much easier. But I ended up using the same fingering he does, which is the same as zephonic posted above.

• Like 2

For the 3rd line I do one small difference:

1 2 3 1 3 5 4 3 2 1 2 1 5 4 3

I find using 3 instead of 2 for the D makes it easier to not have to move the hand as far for that position change. YMMV

On 5/11/2022 at 2:51 PM, zephonic said:

Actually, third line I play

1-2-3-1-2-5-4-3-2-1–2-1-5-4-3

16 hours ago, Josh Paxton said:

I was then pissed when I realized he only ever played it on that miki-key keytar, which makes that line much easier. 

I had that SAME realization earlier this week - I remember demoing the KX5 keytar when it came out, and still have the same-era CS01 mini synth. It's gotta be so much easier to work this up on those smaller keys.

1 hour ago, jerrythek said:

For the 3rd line I do one small difference:

1 2 3 1 3 5 4 3 2 1 2 1 5 4 3

I find using 3 instead of 2 for the D makes it easier to not have to move the hand as far for that position change. YMMV

Yes, i've been experimenting with a few different permutations to see what will be easiest to execute at tempo. This is one of the small changes I fell upon as well.

• Like 1