Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cheap, small board with ROMpler and synth lead capabilities

nadroj

Looking for a cheap, 49keyish (or smaller) board to sit above an Electro (or similar organy instrument). Mostly for synth leads, but ROMpler sounds would be a plus. Something that can fit in a small bag and be carried easily enough with the rest of my gear. Not hugely keen on soloing on mini keys. 

Off the top of my head I can think of:

- Yamaha MX49

- Roland GAIA SH-01

Anything else that would fit the bill? 

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How "synth lead" does it have to be? Not many 4-octave boards (MX49 is the leader of a very small pack). Some 3-octave "pure synths" with no ROMpler capabilities.

My initial thoughts were Roland VR09 (ROMpler with a bit of synth, but one octave and one organ too many?) / KingKorg (I think that's got some ROMpler capabilities, but again 5 octaves and wide) / Roland Boutique controlled from your Electro (onboard pitch/mod ribbons, zero octaves, no ROMpler) / Korg Wavestate or Modwave.

What's your budget?

Cheers, Mike.

22 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

How "synth lead" does it have to be? Not many 4-octave boards (MX49 is the leader of a very small pack). Some 3-octave "pure synths" with no ROMpler capabilities.

My initial thoughts were Roland VR09 (ROMpler with a bit of synth, but one octave and one organ too many?) / KingKorg (I think that's got some ROMpler capabilities, but again 5 octaves and wide) / Roland Boutique controlled from your Electro (onboard pitch/mod ribbons, zero octaves, no ROMpler) / Korg Wavestate or Modwave.

What's your budget?

Cheers, Mike.

I’m not against modules with a pitch bend. Minilogue XD has one, so does the Argon module. 

vr730 is a contender, but would be a replacement rather than an addition. 

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

To me, "synth first, rompler second" implies a preference for some programming/tweaking knobbage for the synth functions, and a sound source for the synth sounds that goes beyond mere samples, which is the category of most recommendations so far, but your mention of the MX49 shows that a "rompler with synth sounds" (as opposed to a "synth with rompler sounds") could also be a possibility. Not that that greatly increases the options, but if you're open to used stuff, that makes me think of the Korg Triton Taktile (comes in 25 and 49) and Micro-X.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Yamaha MX49 at $550 brand new and even less used was tailor-made for this requirement.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"