Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Facepalm; trending insanity

Ya gotta be freekin' kiddin' me...

Some of you may remember what I posted just last week, "Want a DIY Klon kit with THE correct diodes- for $99.99 brand new?" Key words there- "kit", "$99.99 brand new"...

Take a peep at what I just ran across by accident:

Klon Ghost Drive 2022  Used – Mint

Note that it's even on a bare metal enclosure, just with the decals applied...

A $900.01 "plus $15 Shipping" mark-up; or, being asked to pay someone $1,015.00- $915.01 of that being for assembling a $99.99 kit and mailing it to you.

3rkZOGk.jpg

• Wow! 3
  • Haha 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

So, I "Made an Offer" to the seller- of $75.00, plus $15 for Shipping- citing that "it IS a used pedal, and there will be sales tax" (remember, I can buy the exact same kit brand-new for $99.99, and just put it together myself with a soldering iron, some clippers and a screwdriver).

The Counter Offer?

UKEZrOT.jpg

Phfffffffffffffdt... 

I really hope that there's no-one out there that's stupid enough to pay this guy even a fifth of his asking-price. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

So, I "Made an Offer" to the seller- of $75.00, plus $15 for Shipping- citing that "it IS a used pedal, and there will be sales tax" (remember, I can buy the exact same kit brand-new for $99.99, and just put it together myself with a soldering iron, some clippers and a screwdriver).

The Counter Offer?

UKEZrOT.jpg

Phfffffffffffffdt... 

I really hope that there's no-one out there that's stupid enough to pay this guy even a fifth of his asking-price. :rolleyes:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

2 hours ago, wraub said:

On a semi-related note, a used Firefly from GC costs more than a new one.

Ive seen used gear on amazon that wasn't much less ($15-$20.00) than buying a new one. And for getting that slight discount the customer gets the benefit of having no warranty.  Excellent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnH said:

Ive seen used gear on amazon that wasn't much less ($15-$20.00) than buying a new one. And for getting that slight discount the customer gets the benefit of having no warranty.  Excellent.

Yep and people on craigslist charging more for used gear than the new gear would cost. Such savings!!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Yep and people on craigslist charging more for used gear than the new gear would cost. Such savings!!!!

Yeah, although I have to say, those are the ads that are still up, unsold, as much as a year or more later. 

• Like 5
Scott Fraser

IDK?

Reading the ad copy, where the poster even raises the issue of it being a $99 Stew-Mac DIY kit, I have to wonder if this isn't a prank that's gone sideways? Someone trying to find a snarky way to say, "None of these things are worth what people are paying for them, so why not buy this one if you're that stupid?"

It could also just be that this person really is a jerk of the highest (lowest?) order.

Doing an internet search on "Take Five Music, Greenbrae, California" ultimately found a Take Five Music store in Minnesota, but nothing in California. For someone listing themselves under "Vintage and Collectible Guitars", they only have 2 listings; the Ghost Drive, and a Santa Cruz Guitar, that's supposedly been reduced from $9,500+ to $6,500? Not much of a collection . . .

Late edit - As of this morning, 5/6/2022, Stew Mac is showing the Ghost Drive kits as back in stock.

Ghost Drive Pedal Kit

• Like 3

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

1 hour ago, Winston Psmith said:

Reading the ad copy, where the poster even raises the issue of it being a $99 Stew-Mac DIY kit, I have to wonder if this isn't a prank that's gone sideways? Someone trying to find a snarky way to say, "None of these things are worth what people are paying for them, so why not buy this one if you're that stupid?"

It could also just be that this person really is a jerk or the highest (lowest?) order.

Either a comedian, or a crook...

1 hour ago, Winston Psmith said:

Lat edit - As of this morning, 5/6/2022, Stew Mac is showing the Ghost Drive kits as back in stock.

I'd already noticed that, myself! Aaannnd ~ I'm trying to resist the temptation to spend even $99.99 (plus tax, plus shipping) right now when I really should NOPT be spending ANY money on such things- and I have no reason to feel that much is missing in my gear!

Besides, it is largely my curiosity about Klons and Klones that was driving my interest there, really... I don't even know if I'd want to keep it and use it, I don't know if ANY Klon Centaur, KTR, or Klone would provide anything sufficiently, appreciably and usefully different from what I already have, which is a pretty sigifigant stockpile of stompery... !

(I do know that the most accurate such Klone with the 'correct' diodes, or a real KTR or Centaur, would be what I'd want, IF I wanted one- based on small details in the sound and response of some Klon-inspired overdrives from other makers. Small details, particularly character when playing oblique-bends, but enough of a difference for me.

Butt I digress... ;) 

QdwQCMG.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Either a comedian, or a crook...

I'd already noticed that, myself! Aaannnd ~ I'm trying to resist the temptation to spend even $99.99 (plus tax, plus shipping) right now when I really should NOPT be spending ANY money on such things- and I have no reason to feel that much is missing in my gear!

Besides, it is largely my curiosity about Klons and Klones that was driving my interest there, really... I don't even know if I'd want to keep it and use it, I don't know if ANY Klon Centaur, KTR, or Klone would provide anything sufficiently, appreciably and usefully different from what I already have, which is a pretty sigifigant stockpile of stompery... !

(I do know that the most accurate such Klone with the 'correct' diodes, or a real KTR or Centaur, would be what I'd want, IF I wanted one- based on small details in the sound and response of some Klon-inspired overdrives from other makers. Small details, particularly character when playing oblique-bends, but enough of a difference for me.

Butt I digress... ;) 

QdwQCMG.jpg

Since he countered your offer by providing a higher price, shouldn't you also counter offer with an even lower one, like $45.00?😇

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Since he countered your offer by providing a higher price, shouldn't you also counter offer with an even lower one, like $45.00?😇

I thought about that, and also about telling him he's either a comedian or a crook- and that I hope that no one is stupid enough to pay him even a 5th or less of his original asking-price.

But, I refrained- and I'd rather be talking to you and everybody here about it, than him! :laugh: 

If I ever do purchase one of those Stewart-MacDonald Ghost Drive kits and put it together, I think that I'll hafta put that image that I posted above on it for a graphic, along with the name 'Centaurian Assblaster'! :crazy: :D That medieval art piece kinda sums up all of the the Klon Centaur hoopla, don'tcha think?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I thought about that, and also about telling him he's either a comedian or a crook- and that I hope that no one is stupid enough to pay him even a 5th or less of his original asking-price.

But, I refrained- and I'd rather be talking to you and everybody here about it, than him! :laugh: 

If I ever do purchase one of those Stewart-MacDonald Ghost Drive kits and put it together, I think that I'll hafta put that image that I posted above on it for a graphic, along with the name 'Centaurian Assblaster'! :crazy: :D That medieval art piece kinda sums up all of the the Klon Centaur hoopla, don'tcha think?!

Have to agree about not trying to engage any further with this person, because there's clearly nothing to be gained: "trolling the trolls", as it were.

I don't get the sense that they really expect to sell the thing at that price, but "stupid is as stupid does . . .", I guess? Maybe that's the point of the whole exercise.

FWIW, there really is, or was, an Assblaster effects device - I'll let you look it up. It's, well, made to be revolting, and used ones are currently selling for around $1400. Probably a better deal than the $1027 (+$15 shipping) Ghost Drive.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

5 minutes ago, Winston Psmith said:

Have to agree about not trying to engage any further with this person, because there's clearly nothing to be gained: "trolling the trolls", as it were.

I don't get the sense that they really expect to sell the thing at that price, but "stupid is as stupid does . . .", I guess? Maybe that's the point of the whole exercise.

FWIW, there really is, or was, an Assblaster effects device - I'll let you look it up. It's, well, made to be revolting, and used ones are currently selling for around $1400. Probably a better deal than the $1027 (+$15 shipping) Ghost Drive.

People will try anything when a listing is free. 

Long ago on eBay somebody posted a "guitar" made entirely from glueing matchsticks together. They extoled it's virtues and were asking $9,995.00 for it. 

EBay has outlawed Air Guitars but quite a few of those were sold, with free shipping. 

A fool and his money, etc...

• Like 1