Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Software Deals

1 hour ago, bill5 said:

Sorry, after dealing with their horrible register/install/etc process, I wouldn't take a freebie from them. And ilok on top of that? Hard pass

1 hour ago, Doerfler said:

who is this "them" that you are referring to?

39 minutes ago, bill5 said:

IK 

IK Multimedia does not require an iLok. They use an easy peasy program called "IK Product Manager" that no one should have a problem with for installs of any of their software.

Maybe you have it confused with another company.  :idk:  Or maybe you do require assistance.  I'll be happy to help should you need so, just send me a PM

• Like 1
:nopity:

2 hours ago, Doerfler said:

IK Multimedia does not require an iLok. They use an easy peasy program called "IK Product Manager" that no one should have a problem with for installs of any of their software.

Maybe you have it confused with another company.  :idk:  Or maybe you do require assistance.  I'll be happy to help should you need so, just send me a PM

I thought they did (or used to); maybe I'm just remembering a horrid install/etc process and automatically associated it with ilok. :) Anyway thanks for the offer, but I'll never bother with them again. 

IK is also givin gaway their Wurli for Sampletank free (works in the free version).  Looks like our friend Jim Alfredson did the demo

https://audioplugin.deals/product/wurly-model-120-by-ik-multimedia/ref/176/?campaign=IKWurly

If you don't already have a Wurli, might be worth enduring the sign up process. 

I'm partial to the Acoustic Samples and waiting for  Scarbee to go on sale this BF.

1 hour ago, CHarrell said:

Am I the only person who's been cool with iLok? (I've only used their software authorization, maybe it was crummier in the past).

It used to be  just awful. in the mid 2000's I remember being forced to use the cracked version of Waves platinum while keeping my fully licensed version in the box.  Even telling them that if I ever need product support.  These days it's virtual, or you can use a key, I use both and it's  mostly painless.  Only issues if my hub does something weird, my Mac/Logic  thinks there's no key connected.  The Ilok software is actually very good, along with Softtube and UAD installers, it's really easy to have your licenses deposited. 

The IK product manager  is indeed painless.  I will say the Custom shop thing is kind of  bloated. IK does have wonderful support.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

8 hours ago, CHarrell said:

Am I the only person who's been cool with iLok?

No, I am as well.  Once they let users authorize to the host machine/cloud, that made it much less of an issue for me…

…although, in all fairness, I never had any problems with it when it required the dongle. :idk:

dB

• Like 2

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Same here, once iLok went to cloud it really isn't much different than what most of them do.  I still prefer the super-simple serial # like u-he of course!

Anyway....put on my music trailer voice..."It's started...."

Soundtoys has Little Plate free (once again), so if you want a plate verb might be fun to pick up.  I have Fuse Audio's plate and really like it, but since I like plate verbs I'll grab this and see how it differs.

https://forms.soundtoys.com/#/little-plate-promo

• Like 1

The only issue I have with IK Multimedia is that every update will download the whole DMG into (on Mac) ~/Documents/IK Multimedia/whateverthemanageriscalled and not delete them after installation. 

So there’s gigabytes clogging up your drive, and they don’t tell you about it. 

I’m fine with having a limited timeframe for downloading large sample banks — at least they explicitly told me about that. 

Never had a problem with their licensing. 

Also, after decades of trepidation and seeing others’ issues with iLok, I’ll say it’s been trouble-free for me. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

2 hours ago, analogika said:

The only issue I have with IK Multimedia is that every update will download the whole DMG into (on Mac) ~/Documents/IK Multimedia/whateverthemanageriscalled and not delete them after installation. 

So there’s gigabytes clogging up your drive, and they don’t tell you about it. 

I’m fine with having a limited timeframe for downloading large sample banks — at least they explicitly told me about that. 

Never had a problem with their licensing. 

Also, after decades of trepidation and seeing others’ issues with iLok, I’ll say it’s been trouble-free for me. 

After the update can you go and delete the DMG yourself?   I haven’t thought about how these software management apps install exactly.  I wonder if others like Avid’s do the same. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Question - Am I remembering right that this site (or those behind it) now sell (or have affiliations in some way regarding them) plugins?

I was poking around and don't see anything like that.  

Edit: I'll pop this on this post since it's still the latest.  Not software, and maybe not really a Black Friday deal, but a lower price than I recall.
Massdrop has some of their stuff--open headphones was what I was looking at--at lower prices than they were when I bought my HD58X a few years ago.  These are Senn HD600s basically.   Those are currently $139 which is amazing for that quality.  The HD650 (HD6XX) is still 50 bucks more but that is lower than it used to be.  There's some Beyers and others as well.   Thinking about probably going with the HD6XX for a different flavor but if you need open headphones, I'd strongly consider these.

On 11/3/2023 at 12:08 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

After the update can you go and delete the DMG yourself?   I haven’t thought about how these software management apps install exactly.  I wonder if others like Avid’s do the same. 

Yes, you can, and I do. 

But you have to know about it, first. 😉 

Some others dump the .dmg's into the Download folder, where they belong. Others again download and then delete after installation. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

On 11/3/2023 at 9:29 AM, Stokely said:

Question - Am I remembering right that this site (or those behind it) now sell (or have affiliations in some way regarding them) plugins?

I was poking around and don't see anything like that. 

Yes, a few lines.  Click the MPN Shop link in the nav bar at the top of the page…

…or use this link.

I’m fairly sure there will be some of them going on sale this month.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

2nd page?!  It's black cyber holiday sale season!

Freebie at plugin boutique apparently.  Native Instruments Super 8 when using a code (which caveat I have not tested, I already have Super 8 via Komplete).

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/11465

code is: 3bx6m08x 

I don't use Super 8 or haven't so far; I have Repro and Diva and they tend to fill my vintage poly needs.  Sounds pretty good to my ear and comes with a bunch of presets.

On 11/8/2023 at 1:27 PM, Stokely said:

2nd page?!  It's black cyber holiday sale season!

Freebie at plugin boutique apparently.  Native Instruments Super 8 when using a code (which caveat I have not tested, I already have Super 8 via Komplete).

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/11465

code is: 3bx6m08x 

I don't use Super 8 or haven't so far; I have Repro and Diva and they tend to fill my vintage poly needs.  Sounds pretty good to my ear and comes with a bunch of presets.

I think you're reading that wrong.  What I see is that if you buy Super 8 for $99, you get your choice of one of three plugins for free.

I have Super 8 already, but never use it.  I could be wrong though.

27 minutes ago, felis said:

I think you're reading that wrong.  What I see is that if you buy Super 8 for $99, you get your choice of one of three plugins for free.

I have Super 8 already, but never use it.  I could be wrong though.

Just tested it, it's free if you enter the code. 

The choice of freebies you also get.  When you add Super 8 to your cart, it will be 99 until you get all the way to the end of the checkout process where they give you a spot to enter a coupon code.  I pasted in '3bx6m08x' and the price went to 0.00.

Ah, gotcha.  I didn't actually get it so that was an assumption on my part.  Anyway, Super 8 sounds pretty good IMO and hard to beat free :)  I'm being picky even on free stuff this year though.

Debating getting Damage 2 from Heavyocity...it has a very aggressive drum kit that sounds like nothing else I have to go with all the cinematic percussion/taikos/etc...on sale, plus you apparently can use your serial from Damage 1 (which I have from NI Komplete) to get an additional 70 dollars off.   

• Like 1

Here's an interesting one for anyone just getting into orchestral (and other genres, but mostly orchestral/cinematic).

Cinesamples has a lot of high-quality libraries in Kontakt.  Their latest endeavor is musio, which is their own player and they have ported versions (not all the features but with promises with more coming) over to it.

They have a one-time "get everything we've made through 2023" Musio 1, or you can subscribe and get everything past present and future.  

The draw is that Musio 1 is on sale for $299, which is bananas considering some of the libraries in Kontakt cost more than that, and you get most if not all of them.
Here's the list of what you'd get today with Musio 1:

https://musio.com/whats-included/

If I hadn't gotten Komplete which comes with a bunch of orchestral libraries--that I haven't mostly even tried yet, and likely aren't in the same ballpark quality-wise but still--I might get this.   It's a great value, I just might not get the use out of it in other words.  The main reason I'm considering it is that I was maybe going to get Damage 2, and Cinesamples has percussion (a lot of it).   For just a little more than Damage 2 (which is also on sale), I'd get percussion and shit-tons more.

Some unknowns--how much the "upgrade" to Musio 2, 3 etc will be in future years.  It will be like Komplete in that regard sounds like.   Cinesamples did verify on another forum that bug fixes, features and OS updates for past/current Musio libraries will be perpetually free (ie, not like Waves).   I may ask them if:  I buy Musio 1 now, then subscribe in the future to get newer libraries...will that act as payments toward Musio 2/3 etc?  I'd guess not but that would make the subscription a payment plan basically.   Some people are a tad concerned that Musio will stick around, and want to know: if I download all the libraries locally (they normally live in the cloud until needed), and Musio goes belly-up, will they still work?  IMO this would mean Cinesamples would be out of business, and that seems unlikely as they've been around a while now.