Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Don't Get Around Much Anymore, 1940, Ellington

"Don't Get Around Much Anymore" is a jazz standard written by composer Duke Ellington. 

The song was originally entitled "Never No Lament" and was first recorded by Duke Ellington and his orchestra on May 4, 1940.

"Don't Get Around Much Anymore" quickly became a hit after Bob Russell wrote its lyrics in 1942.

This song is dedicated for all our elders, as we honor their lives and contributions to our culture and heritage.

May we find the courage and patience to love and honor all of their being, as they continue to inspire and love us!!!

Pray for all the peoples we lost in the war in Ukraine. So many lives lost.
Pray for Peace!!!

https://youtu.be/88GeFIwzWkM

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this type of music.  Thank you!

18 minutes ago, Rene Asologuitar said:

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this type of music.  Thank you!

Well in a way, it's not...but I like it, and I like the vibe. Since other people may too, hey...why not?

Question: Are you lip-synching to a recording you did? The voice sounds very clear, but I don't see a mic nearby.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anderton said:

Well in a way, it's not...but I like it, and I like the vibe. Since other people may too, hey...why not?

Question: Are you lip-synching to a recording you did? The voice sounds very clear, but I don't see a mic nearby.

Good Morning Craig!

First, Thanks for accepting me into your forum!!!

I am not lip-synching, I am recording my videos, mostly originals and cover song "live" into 2 microphones that is not seen by my IMAC via QuickTimerPlayer.  I am glad that you ask, because that is my goal is to record "live sessions", and for my recording set-up to be a bit of a mystery.

Again, I really appreciate you giving me permission to be in your forum!!!

Respectfully,

Rene

• Like 1

Nice rendition. A favorite old song. Truthfully though, it's a sad song, not really the best candidate for bright and happy. Still, I enjoyed it. 

• Like 1
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

That Natalie Cole version is still too upbeat for me. I've just listened to a bunch of versions on utoob. I tried to stay away from the Willie Nelson version which is closest to what I think of as the mood of the lyrics. Then I found this Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington version. Very nice playing and singing by Satchmo, plus nice soloing/fills by Trummy Young on trombone, Barney Bigard on clarinet, then Duke soloing on piano. 

• Like 1
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

17 hours ago, El Lobo said:

Nice rendition. A favorite old song. Truthfully though, it's a sad song, not really the best candidate for bright and happy. Still, I enjoyed it. 

Hi El Lobo,

Yes, I agree with you.

This is truly a sad song.

We, all, are traveling in the same road, and this particular part of the road is tough.

I am glad that you liked it, after the sad story.

Next time, I will stick to the hope and love, and bright and happy.

Thanks for the great feedback!!!

Respectfully,

Rene

17 hours ago, Steve Nathan said:

Nice Touch.  Always loved this song.  Especially love this Clare Fischer (I think)  arrangement with into the coolest modulation in and out of the instrumental.

Very nice arrangement!!

Truly a classic of a song, and Natalie is fabulous.

Love the video, and thanks for sharing.

Rene

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 11:27 AM, El Lobo said:

That Natalie Cole version is still too upbeat for me. I've just listened to a bunch of versions on utoob. I tried to stay away from the Willie Nelson version which is closest to what I think of as the mood of the lyrics. Then I found this Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington version. Very nice playing and singing by Satchmo, plus nice soloing/fills by Trummy Young on trombone, Barney Bigard on clarinet, then Duke soloing on piano. 

HI El Lobo,

I have not heard this version before, and I love this very much!

Very nice players.

Thanks for this.

Rene