Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio XWP1, do the drawbars send MIDI CCs?

The Casio XWP1 seem like quite a decent synth, and although it has it's own built in organ engine, with distortion applied, it kinda sounds like a baseball organ with improper gain structure.  In order to remedy this, I thought about adding a phone or tablet running VB3m or some other organ app controlling it from the XWP1's internal keybed, using it's master keyboard capabilities, and placing the device on the black panel in the top right corner of the synth.  My only question is if the drawbars on the XWP1 send MIDI CCs so that I could use them to control the aforementioned organ app, or if I need to find some kind of alternative control surface.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! 

If you put it in Drawbar organ mode the sliders send CCs.  You can also map the switches and other controls.  :)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

19 minutes ago, Mike Martin said:

Yes! 

If you put it in Drawbar organ mode the sliders send CCs.  You can also map the switches and other controls.  :)

Thanks Mike!

So if just mute the organ part, I can use the drawbars to control another app.  My other idea was to use a NeoVent or GSi Burn, but since the XW-P1 doesn't have assignable outputs I wouldn't be able to also use it's synth sounds being controlled by another keyboard.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

The XW does let you pan sounds to one side or the other (you just may have to be careful to avoid things like a stereo reverb effect). So you can pan the organ out one side to your Vent or whatever (and organ is a mono sound anyway, until it gets to the rotary effect), and send your synth sounds out the other side (and apart from the effects, synth sounds tend to be mono as well).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just now, AnotherScott said:

The XW does let you pan sounds to one side or the other (you just may have to be careful to avoid things like a stereo reverb effect). So you can pan the organ out one side to your Vent or whatever (and organ is a mono sound anyway, until it gets to the rotary effect), and send your synth sounds out the other side (and apart from the effects, synth sounds tend to be mono as well).

Fair enough, but the combo of an old iPhone I have laying around (free), the camera connection kit ($40), and an AUX cable (>$10) to connect it to the XW-P1's 3.5mm input (and then route it to the output) is about $300 less than a used NeoVent on Reverb, and I can still use stereo effects on all other sounds on the XW-P1.