Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why the Record Industry Is Like a Feudal Society

This article I did for Mixonline got quite a reaction...some of you might have opinions as well :)

Besides, where else are you going to find out about Lord Streaming Services, and why we all own fiefdoms these days...

• Like 1

Well put, Craig. A lot of the new tech just makes me feel tired. Its too much like the big upheaval that came with the shift from LPs to CDs. I had to a LOT of conversion. It was a step *sideways* in progress.

I got pushed into the cloud as a matter of necessity. You can only fight to remain in a tube world until some g-damned dictator drops munitions on the main factories. ROMplers look pretty good when contrasted with nothing. In fact, all of it looks good part of the time, since it landed me a D-50 with that often ephemeral PG-1000 controller included. When it first appeared in '87 or so, GAS strained my groin.🤯 I'm finding a pleasant equilibrium between being a Luddite and living the keyboard stack dream.      

I once heard a radio DJ say "The great thing about this is that you can hear me, but we don't have to see or smell each other." Maybe I'm both too hard and too easy to please, but I'm liking the Bandcamp model best. I can surf it casually, buy bits & pieces and still remain obsessed with my top-heavy stack of Logic projects without too much distracting outside chatter, KC excepted.

• Like 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Most of the money goes to the artists, up front, that's #1. Its more of a place to be heard semi-professionally than it is social media with a music element. The popularity contest is different. You have to dig in a bit more to find specific things you like, as opposed to having categories curated for you so much, AI-style. I like that hands-on aspect. Bandcamp is still the most mature site of its type, which is why so many artists make a home there. Read their Terms of Use and be pleasantly surprised.       

https://bandcamp.com/

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

• 1 month later...

Everything about Bandcamp seems great, but it was recently acquired by Epic Games. They're claiming it will remain independent. Sometimes that does actually happen but only time will tell for sure. I'm not a fan of Epic for reasons that are OT here, so I'm unhappy about the acquisition.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

You might want to check out the follow-up, Welcome to the Renaissance. Just like the renaissance followed feudalism, it's time to start thinking about what the music industry's renaissance is going to look like.

• Like 1