Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Microtonal Gymnopedie for Retuned Keyboard

Hey everyone! Long-time lurker and amateur composer here, posting this piece of music here for your listening pleasure.

As you can probably guess from the title, this piece is microtonal. Satie wrote 3 Gymnopedies and afaik few others have used the form he created. I figured that, due to it's simple and atmospheric melody and accompaniment, it would be an interesting way to explore different microtonal systems. 

So I analyzed the form and generalized the style and applied it to a number of microtonal systems. I really liked this one in particular so I touched it up and put it on Spotify. 

The system being used is Mode 12 of the Harmonic Series, which is to say its the 12 overtones in the harmonic series starting on harmonic 12 and ending on harmonic 24. This scale can easily map to a regular keyboard so that's an advantage it has. I also think it sound nice; hopefully you do too. :)

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic