Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Time to Re-Think KB Rig?

ProfD

9 minutes ago, GotKeys said:

I think you may be looking for a keytar if you need stage presence.

3 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Nah mayne...a strap on just looks ridiculous no matter which way you sling it. 🤣😎

He didn't say it would necessarily be a positive stage presence...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

He didn't say it would necessarily be a positive stage presence...

Exactly.

On the topic of keytars, my friends and I decided that our next gig on April Fools we are only playing 'weird' instruments.  Me on keytar, our other keyboardist on accordion, our guitarists on banjo and mandolin, our bass player on upright bass, and our drummer on assorted African percussion.  Certainly will give the FOH people a run for their money, and the stage volume might actually be manageable.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

2 hours ago, GotKeys said:

I think you may be looking for a keytar if you need stage presence.

I have never been a fan of keytars since I first saw them in the '80s. No offense to any of my friends that like them and/or use them. I solved for stage presence 30+ years ago with a rolling and tilting keyboard stand that I've evolved and improved over the years. 

2 hours ago, eric said:

I have never been a fan of keytars since I first saw them in the '80s. No offense to any of my friends that like them and/or use them. I solved for stage presence 30+ years ago with a rolling and tilting keyboard stand that I've evolved and improved over the years. 

No judgement on my part, you do you!  If your rig works for what you need it to do, who cares what anyone else thinks?

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

6 hours ago, eric said:

Unless you are a member of a very select group who can play one like a beast, keytars naturally draw a few snickers on sight. The precious few whom I felt did it best were people who split the keyboard and learned to play it more weirdly. Drums on the low end, muscle synth lead through the middle and a major gong strike on the very top key easily shut out a mere string pad or bass. It would seem natural to do a multi-zone thing with it for EDM or experimental ventures. It can look pretentious, but that all evaporates once you make the Monster Sound come out of it.

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"