Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Music Biz: Is It Time to Let the Inmates Run the Asylum?

Mixonline just posted my latest blog entry, which is about a different model for the music industry. Here's an excerpt...

Has the Internet democratized music? Well, sorta. But a model that turned over artistic and financial control to the fans would be true democratization. The fans would become not just the consumers—they would become the business. The business wouldn’t be based on music filtering down from record companies, but filtering up from individuals. Yes, you. The individuals. The fans. The people who go crazy when they find some great new artist. The people with the passion and love of music that could fuel the Renaissance.

As to how that would happen, that's what the article is about, and I was thinking it might make some good fodder for discussion.

I read your blog. 

I like it, the idea is fundamentally sound.

The "Powers That Be" won't like it and should it take root and grow they will show their true colors and fight for their share of the skim. 

They could just join in and go with it, some of them probably would.

There is no reason "bottom-up" wouldn't work as well as "top-down" in the long run. There will be pain, I'm certain the contingent who made buggy whips in the late 1800's up until the automobile rendered their services un-needed were pretty actively pissed off until reality forced them to find another way to survive. 

Root hog or die. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

32 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

The "Powers That Be" won't like it and should it take root and grow they will show their true colors and fight for their share of the skim. 

They could just join in and go with it, some of them probably would.

...and the ones that do will become the new "powers that be" :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anderton said:

...and the ones that do will become the new "powers that be" :)

True, but there will be commerce on a more diverse level and based on public opinion instead of spoon-feeding us the latest mediocre songs done by good looking young people as is the standard now. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Exactly. And most importantly, the inmates will run the asylum. The role of the powers that be will be to maintain the asylum's infrastructure, not populate it. That would be up to the inmates.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Real MC said:

Why not let the inmates run the asylum?

It's been done before.

mp3.com

I don't know if you read the article, but MP3.com wasn't at all like the business model I'm proposing. MP3.com was basically a free file-sharing site that used algorithms like Spotify to distribute money. My whole point is to get rid of that kind of approach, and turn the fans into a paid A&R and promotion department.