Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations for compact hammer action slab pianos or controllers (both 73 and 88)

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

ES520

A significant jump in price but asked and answered. :)

And it looks like the ES520/920 are still suffering from supply issues and are on backorder so I wouldn't be able to get one for a while. At least I can get the ES110 if I opt for that. 

Do you need a settable split point for internal sounds on the Kawai, or for the external modules/keyboards that you're controlling with it?  If it's the latter, and you can't just program your splits on the receiving devices, I believe a MIDI Solutions Router can be programmed to route incoming MIDI note data according to a split point of your choosing, either rechanneling it, or routing it to one of the two physical MIDI outputs on the box.  If you need to change the split point on the fly, it looks like you can pre-program different split point rules for each incoming MIDI channel, and then you can just change the output MIDI channel on the ES110 to access those 16 different pre-programmed split points.

Never done this stuff myself but the MIDI Solutions Application Examples page seems to indicate all those results are achievable.  http://www.midisolutions.com/applicat.htm

5 hours ago, funkyhammond said:
7 hours ago, aellison62 said:

Hammer 88 pro? 

Thanks for the suggestion but it looks like it has bugs and quality issues. 

I had one for a bit. Bugs and quality issues described it well, sadly. It has nice potential but alas.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

A Kurzweil SP6 might fit the bill, though prices may have gone up a little.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

2 hours ago, mynameisdanno said:

Do you need a settable split point for internal sounds on the Kawai, or for the external modules/keyboards that you're controlling with it?  If it's the latter, and you can't just program your splits on the receiving devices, I believe a MIDI Solutions Router can be programmed to route incoming MIDI note data

Mostly for internal sounds so that I can silence part of the keyboard for triggering external gear. Fortunately, I own a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus which can do the job of MIDI rechanneling a range of notes if need be. It probably requires more programming steps than the Router, which is specialized, but it will work. I've done many things with it over the years. Great units. Thanks for taking the time to look it up, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

A Kurzweil SP6 might fit the bill, though prices may have gone up a little.

I don't need something that full-featured for this use. And it also looks not to be currently available. I might have considered the upgrade to the ES520 (for the better EPs, display, programmable split, MIDI implementation) if it had been available. I might just pick up the ES110 for now and then if I decide to get an ES520 (or something else) later, sell it. It seems to be pretty popular so that shouldn't be a problem.