Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

dB’s Favorite Biscuits

Never buy premade biscuits again!!!  

• 4 cups all-purpose flour 

• 2 tsp salt

• 1 1⁄2 cups milk

• 1 stick of salted butter 

• 2 Tbs baking powder

Preheat oven to 450 degrees and add flour, baking powder, and salt to a large bowl.

Cut cold butter into flour using a pastry cutter, fork, or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Stir in milk until dough comes together.

Add in extra ingredients like bacon, cheese, garlic, etc if desired.

Pat out biscuits to 3⁄4 inch thickness and cut with a 2 inch circle cutter. Pressing straight down when you cut will help the biscuits rise better.

Place biscuits on a sheet pan with the sides touching and refrigerate for 20 minutes before baking.*

Bake at 450 degrees for 10-14 minutes or until biscuits are baked through and golden brown on top.

• Note: The key is dropping the temperature of the butter by refrigerating the cut biscuits before baking...and yes, biscuits made with butter are better than the ones made with shortening,  Sorry, but it's true... 😁

spacer.png

• Love 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

SO simple.   Way tasty. :rocker:

Refrigerating before baking to drop the temp of the butter "crumbs" results in little butter coated air pockets in the biscuit. 🥰

NOTE: if you've got buttermilk, do feel free to use that instead of the regular milk.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• 4 weeks later...

Made these today with cheddar. Quite good, thanks dB.

My mum would make biscuits from time to time in childhood, mostly to pair with mac 'n' cheese or soups. They were one of my favourite things she made, and my mum is a really great cook. The recipe she used (and passed on to me) is from the Fannie Farmer Baking Book and has a couple more ingredients, I believe cream of tartar and a little sugar. And yes, calls for shortening, but we're butter folks as well. ;) I still haven't decided which recipe is better!

BTW, I used buttermilk today. I rarely have it on hand, but my mum taught me long ago that 1 scant cup of milk + 1 Tbsp of white vinegar + 10 minutes to curdle gives you a cup of buttermilk. Not sure if that passes everyone's smell test but it's worked for us so far.

• Like 1