Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(partially OT) Enough computing power ?

I am reading in different Mac related threads, here and on VI and elsewhere, the current opinion that the M1 (or whatever other platform you refer to) is enough for audio/music work.

OK, i wrote my first set of compositions using the Atari ST, with a TX16W sample, a TX802 and a Matrix 1000. When i moved to a 32Mb Akai, i though: who ever will need more ?

And i did music i still like at the time.

But, our assessment of our computing needs is based on the tools we currently needs, whose limitations, paradigm and features are based on the computing power that today we are able to use.

My back of an envelope estimation is that a Mac Studio can provide between 8 and 12 times the CPU power of my 2019 Mac Book Pro, without talking about GPUs and new things like the neural engine.

Significant jumps like this  in the available computing powers allows for the development of tools based on different paradigms: think a physically modelled orchestra with all instruments and musicians modelled one by one; using a neural engine to work on instrument articulations, together with a physical model. And god know what else :).

So, computer power is enough for what you do today, but the history may be different in a couple of years.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic