Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Waldorf Iridium Keyboard with Polyphonic Aftertouch

2 hours ago, marino said:

Gosh, this is going to be difficult to resist. Time to sell a few things... :freak:

Yes !

I ignored the desktop version but when I read "poly aftertouch" and "new Fatar TP8SK" in Waldorf´s email,- it got my interest.

I´m often very bored by Youtube synth demonstrations, but M.J´s demo is great.

Very flexible synth in the hands of a pro !

To my ears, it sounds modern and good.

Only disadvantage for me,- 49keys ... I´d wish there were 61.

Current price is somewhat high for a 49keys action digital synth IMO.

☺️

A.C.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Coda said:

Yes !

I ignored the desktop version but when I read "poly aftertouch" and "new Fatar TP8SK" in Waldorf´s email,- it got my interest.

Yeah, it looks like my ultimate excuse to get rid of the Hydrasynth... I hope that the new PAT Fatar feels better.

5 minutes ago, Al Coda said:

I´m often very bored by Youtube synth demonstarations, but M.J´s demo is great.

Not only that - but by now, there are hundreds of sounds around for the Quantum/Iridium. Most of those, from what I have heard, are of good quality. So, plenty of starting points for high-level sound design.

16 minutes ago, Al Coda said:

Only disadvantage for me,- 49keys ... I´d wish there were 61.

Current price is somewhat high for a 49keys action digital synth IMO.

I sympathize with both remarks.
OTOH, it's quite cheaper than a Quantum....

The ol' 4-octaves bug has made me groan a bit, but over time, I've learned to roll with synth compromises more readily. Would I PREFER an 88-note blend between a CS-80, a Hydrasynth and a tack piano? Sure! Will it happen? Oh, holy Moog, no! Maybe for Christmas, if you're unnaturally good! 🤩

However, a funny thing happened on my way to arthritis and mini-key controllers. The nature of a synth doesn't necessarily demand more keys and many sounds blat out at either end of a piano range. I've been Autosampling some patches for convenience of use. Its really brought things to a fine point. I've played 5 octaves for years now, so I've chosen to sample within that range. Every seven keys and two layers do the job for quite a few synth patches.

There have also been a few where I took the memory hit for greater expression. With enough layers and some careful filter envelope work, I get some impressively detailed sounds that are a pleasure to massage. Oddly, key range isn't the #1 issue.

While the Iridium is super-digital, it offers a similar depth to serious sampling. At $3400+, its definitely a player's synth. I doubt many people will buy one as a casual thing. Elements like the granular manipulation make it a sound designer's dream as much as a keyboard. I don't see Matt having an issue with the size!

At 22:35 and 24:00, he shows off a pretty piano creature of a sound that tells me a lot. You could play this for years and barely meet it halfway. Magical.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce